Strong AOD? Or am I just dreaming...

Hello,

I am trying to decide on a transmission for my 351w Project. I like the AOD, but I haven't had the best luck with them (broke 2 of them with my old 302HO). I know a C4 or C6 would hold up fine, but I would like to have a low rear-axle gear and still be able to drive it on the highway. So does anybody make a good AOD that would hold up to regular driving with the occasional race? My motor probably won't make more than 400HP when I am done. Or are there any other good

4 speed auto's that I am overlooking?

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CoogarXR) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com:

Joe

no factory aod is going to hold up to that... unless you want to spend the money for an 03 cobra tranny... your best bet if you want to stay away from the c4 and c6 .. is to get a 99+ GT tranny and have it rebuilt to be bullett proof ... I have been told they can be built up to 500 to 500 hp rating and you still have the luxury of an auto with OD

Reply to
j.moffett

"j.moffett" wrote in a message:

An AOD tranny can hold up to anything you can throw at it if it is built properly, but it will not be cheap. Lentech specializes in the AOD tranny, and the owner of the company runs one himself, in his race car. I seen a video of his car running, and he isn't easy on it. If I remember right, it runs in the 9's & pulls the front wheels off the ground a good bit. I might have a copy of the video on my hard drive somewhere, and will post a link to it if anyone is interested in viewing it. If I was going to build a car for street/strip use, I'd go with the AOD from Lentech. Buzz Haze could probably get you more information on them, since he just lives down the street from them.

Reply to
GEB

I spoke to a local tranny shop here... and was told with a stall and shift kit and a good rebuild ... my tranny can handle all the toys I plan on adding...

yeah post the link race vids are always nice to see

the tranny you talk of is a v6 tranny????

that's what I have as im a 96 v6... over the winter im planning on

3:73 ...8.8 vortec 12lb 36 to 42 lb injectors dyno tune ( Anderson ford) cam 205 ( I think dnt know much on cams) 1.8 rockers inter cooler split port swap ( found an engine with swap already done so I can just drop it in ) and a few cosmetic toys

stalker body kit... re-painted factory blue

18in cobra Rs or another rim I found ( 18x8.5) 3 inch cowl hood or stalker hood ( with ram air ??)

Reply to
j.moffett

"j.moffett" wrote in a message:

This company is in Canada, but theyspecialize in the AOD and the AODE's. To see a video of their car at thetrack goto
I doubt you will belaunching your car as hard as this guy does. BTW, there is a little more tobeefing up an automatic tranny than just rebuilding it and putting in ashift kit. I had a C4 done and it cost me $800.00. When I had mine done,they put in a hardened input shaft, billet pump housing, upgraded the clutchdrums to accommodate an extra clutch disc in each drum, and a full manualreverse pattern valve body. BTW...The video is quite large, and I recommend you right click on the link and select "Save Target As" and play it after it is done downloading..

Reply to
GEB