Strut rod failure due to polyurethane bushings

I just rebuilt the front suspension on my 66 coupe. I rebuilt the control arms, upgraded to #620 coils and installed Pro Motorsports Negative Wedge and Vario Eccentric kits. I plan to finish the rest of the suspension with the Street Heat kit from Mustangs Plus. Anyways when I spoke to a rep about the alignments specs I should use, he asked if I had installed polyurethane strut rod bushings. I said that I had, and he told me I need to switch my polyurethane strut rod bushings back to the rubber ones. The reason being that the polyurethane bushings will not allow the strut rod to pivot in the mounting hole on the frame like the rubber ones do. This will eventualy snap the strut rod.

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Also should I install polyurethane bushings in the spring perch? Or should I go with the rollerized kind? I couldn't find a suppler with just the polyurethane bushings in stock, so I reused the current rubber perches because they looked to be pretty good.

Evan

66 coupe w/ 91 5.0, t-5, 9" rear
Reply to
Evan

Generally, Mustangs Plus knows what they're talking about... that said... anyone can be in error. So. Did the bushings come with a particular kit (i.e. Vario-centric or negative wedge)? If so, I would take a shot and contact pro-motorsports direct and ask them.

Pro-Motorsports Engineering

9479 S. Sandy Parkway Sandy, Utah 84070 Phone: (801)563-1111 Fax: (801)563-1110

By the way, have you purchased the Bump Steer kit yet? According to the instructions, if you are running radials, you may not need the kit as the radial tires seem to be much more tolerant of bump steer and may make it unnoticeable.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

No the bushings did not come with any kit, I purchased them seperately. No I have not purchased the Bump Steer kit. Pro Motorsports is about 10 minutes from my house and I have been there a few times.

Reply to
Evan

well, scratch that idea.... : ) What did P-M have to say?

By the way, can ya get me a discount? LOL : ) Just need the Vario-centric kit....

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I've had poly bushings on mine for a few years without any problems. I also applied a little Mobile 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease during install, too.

Reply to
.boB

I also applied grease when I insatalled the bushings, any where the bushing touched metal I greased.

I can talk to them and see if there is a discount for in store pickup. I ordered all my stuff from Mustang Depot. There price on the VARIO-CENTRIC kit is a couple bucks cheaper then Pro Motorsports interent price.

Reply to
Evan

Just kidding about the discount... : )

My stuff was bought through Mustangs Plus, but where possible, I buy outside the state and avoid the 7.75% tax. I have to pay S&H anyway, and with some outfits, the further the distance the less i have to pay.