Subwoofer install

I have some questions about installing a sub and amp in a 2000 mustang gt. Does anyone know if the stock head unit (non Mach sound system) has low level outputs (RCA jacks)? My amp has high level inputs, but I dont want to use them if I dont have to. Also where is the best place to pull power for the amp from? Directly from the battery?

Since you are lacking the Mach system, you have a few options.

Without the Mach, it's simple to install an aftermarket head unit and just get it over with. Something with more power output and more of the features you want is available for not a lot of green.

If you absolutely *must* retain the factory head unit, you are forced into using an aftermarket line-level converter, or your amplifier's built in high-level inputs. We both know that using a high level input won't produce a sound as clean as a real head unit and low-level signals.

It's all in what you have the cash for and what you are looking for. If you have no cash, just tap off of a rear speaker wire and use it for the high level input. When you get money for the h.u., you can always change it later.

Tap the amp's power directly from the battery for best results. Remember to include a fuse located close to the battery. Otherwise, if the wiring gets damaged and shorts to the body, you will have no fuse and basically a portable welder, only you won't be in control of what you're fusing together.

JS

Reply to
JS