Suggestions for a 4 Barrel Carb for 289

Get a current issue of SummitRacing catalog - you can get a combo kit - intake, carb, cam and lifters for a good price. I've been buying from Summit for over 10 years, and have always been impressed with their service.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

Buy the cam before you buy new bumpers! Besides, it's an essential part of a rebuild anyway. Your original is worn and obsolete and needs to be replaced. You don't want to go back inside the engine later! I like Comp Cams because of the many grinds available and being able to pick my own lobes for a custom grind. Their catalog is online--do a search. If it were me I'd go with part# 31-230-3 smooth idle, excellent mileage, strong torque. Common sense.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

Common sense to someone who has experience. (That's not a put down. It's a statement of fact.) I learned years ago to do oil changes, change out parts like water pumps, tuneups, brakes, but was never in a situation which required going into the engine other than rebuilding a carb once. CAMs and cranks, and lifters is new stuff for me.

And, what I want is good mileage (I'm getting an AOD and new torque converter installed after I get the car home). New bumpers, etc, I don't need. ; ) What you describe sounds like exactly what I am after. I'm going to be doing a lot more driving (including cross country) than racing.

My new copy of Summit's catalog just arrived yesterday.

Should there be/is there some k>>Unfortunately, I think the cam will have to wait for a little

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

Yes, The Edelbrock Carb and manifold is a good match for many of the mild cam grinds and even some of the slightly hotter grinds. AOD cars may only turn 1600-1800 rpm on the hwy so stick with a mild cam similar to the one I sugested. Otherwise you'd have to run lower gears in the rear end, and there goes your fuel economy.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe