Supercharger vs. Turbo

Which mod option would get you more bang for your buck?

If adding a supercharger, can anyone tell me what the max psi a 2001 3.8L V6 engine could handle before having problems? What other mods may/will be needed to prevent problems?

What are some of the better recommended supercharger and turbo kits out there?

Thanks.

Reply to
S. Michael

Boy, that's a tough call. Both have their good and bad points. Both will make more power than the other depending on the situation, engine, system design, etc. For a daily transportation driver I prefer the turbo. It makes power as you need it. With throttle nearly closed on a steady cruise or down hill, you'll only make 2-3 pounds of boost. When you stomp the loud pedal, it will jump to whatever you've set for max. A blower is driven off the crank, and boost is determined by the rpm's only. With a turbo you have boost when you need it, and no boost when you don't. Easier on the equipment that way.

Reply to
.boB

If you were to pick up the August issue of Hotrod magazine, they might answer some of your questions. The cover story is about a boost shootout, turbo vs. centrifugal blower vs. roots blower. As to your supercharger question, I have a 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe, 3.8 liter factory supercharged that routinely sees 12-14 lbs of boost and has 98k on the motor, no problems yet. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Wes Woodward