Superchargers

Ok.. I've got a 98 Mustang GT... and I'm looking into superchargers now. It's practically stock... no actual engine mods.. cold air (BBK) maybe soon. Got Steeda sub-frame connectors & Steeda heavy duty rear sway bar on the way soon (Gagan). Now.. it'll be probably 6-8 months before I actually get a supercharger, but I'd like to know if anybody has a site where comparisons are done between the different brands (Vortech, Paxton, Powerdyne, Kenne-Bell, etc) or if anybody has opinions about a particular one. Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I saw this in the link that Michael Johnson gave me...

Note that the Kenne Bell pull's 8.5 psi all the way from 2500 rpm's.

-brian

Reply to
DumberThanSnot

Mike,

I don't know a ton about blowers... never had one on anything but a 3.8L Super Coupe that I owned once. From everything I've read and heard, though, here's what I kinda know:

Centrifugal blowers (Paxton, Vortech, others) will make gobs of power up high, but they don't do a whole lot for bottom end. Great for race cars that spend most of their running time up in the upper reaches of the tach.

Roots-style and twin-screw blowers (Eaton OEM, Kenne-Bell, others) provide more torque down low. This is why the Eaton is choice for OEM applications - respectable power output and gobs of torque at the lower RPM range... where the average driver will have a chance to take advantage of it. That's why the T'bird SC came with an Eaton, and why the '03 Cobra comes with an Eaton. Supposedly makes small engines feel like big blocks.

FRPP (Motorsport, whatever you wanna call them) sells a bolt-on kit for your car that removes the intake and puts a blower (Eaton) in its place. It's probably not the best power adder in the world, but it's probably one of the safest ways to put a blower on your car. Comes with computer to re-tune the car and everything needed to make it go. Doesn't work with the PI heads or even FRPP's own '96-98 SOHC heads due to fuel/timing issues and most likely compression as well.

Again, determine what you want to do with your car and go from there. There are a couple comparison sites, but they seem to elude me now. Do a websearch and see what you can come up with. Lots of people who know lots more than me on this subject, but that should get you started.

JS

Reply to
JS

The Kenne Bells are advertised for the 99+ GTs. They say they are developing for earlier models, but good luck waiting.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

They are there for the older models as my mechanic has one on his 347 (stroked 5.0). It runs great.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Ya, okay, earlier 4.6's

Reply to
John Shepardson

Is KB a roots blower?

Reply to
<memset

KB's a twin-screw - going by KB's site, it's a more efficient variation of a roots blower. Lower output temperatures usually reduce or eliminate the need for an aftercooler (incorrectly named "intercooler" on their site), and the blower requires less horsepower to drive. They are, in fact, parasitic drags on the engine, but they add much more than they remove.

I've always heard good things about KB's blowers for street cars... but like anything, don't overdo it or you'll be breaking parts faster than you can say "Oh shit!"

Also, Mike, I don't believe they're yet available for 96-98 SOHC's, unfortunately. I can get one for my DOHC, but I've heard so many bad things about the bottom end of the '96-01 DOHC that I'm kinda afraid to do so.

E-mail KB and put a bug in their ear to complete the kit and see what they tell you..

JS

Reply to
JS

Maybe I can plug my KB blower install here again.

It's

KB's a twin-screw - going by KB's site, it's a more efficient variation of a

Reply to
John Shepardson

Just how much of an "amateur" are you? ;)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yeah I see that now.. went to their site again... did a bit more research. The Vortech supercharger is lookin real good... I'm really just looking for a good power kick to make the car more enjoyable. I'll be taking her to the strip (Don Manning... been to Pier 7 in OK?) every now & then.. but overall I just want her to be reliable as well as faster (near-stock right now.. I imagine that it's around 225hp (factory claim)). I don't think I'm going to go the headswap route. Also.. some 3.73 gears are lookin good too. Gears will come before the supercharger... way before... maybe even a year before (6-8 months would be nice, but I want to gain a bit more experience before I slap on a supercharger). Also.. been meaning to ask... is there any difference between a "blower" and "supercharger"? Don't slap a beginner please ;D. Much appreciated.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Mike,

Blower + supercharger are kinda interchangeable from everything I've ever seen. I'm not the authority on this though.

The Vortech kits have a pretty good reputation. Just out of curiosity, what made you lean toward this particular setup? (centrifugal, and Vortech in specific)

JS

Reply to
JS

Allen Engine Development (AED) makes roots-type for the 96-98. It looks pretty well engineered IMO.

Reply to
Christopher Shea

Just reading about them & comparing w/ others. Vortech seems to be reputable (and no KB blower is currently available... but if a KB blower becomes available before I actually purchase a Vortech blower.. I think that will make me heavily consider a KB blower instead of Vortech).

It says the Vortech base kits come w/ everything besides the Vortech supercharger itself... what about the Vortech Supercharger Systems? Example:
(sorry if it cuts it off)

Does that not come with everything I'd need (minus tools, obviously)? I don't wanna spend near $4k and then hafta spend another $1,200+ for the "base kit"...

I've looked into Powerdyne's systems as well... I like the "Silent Drive (tm)" belt system... no gears.. but I'm a little skeptical.. not sure why. Also wanted to ask... I hear that S/C belts break often... this true?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Average, about all I used was a socket set to put it in.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

If you get the supercharger, I don't think you'll need the gears, in fact, you might just take them back off.

I can burn as much rubber as I want in first with stock gears and the KB with only 6 psi.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Oh really? I heard that Superchargers take away from the low-end... but you've got a KB.. which is different than a roots blower I thought. KB blowers make the power nearly instantly available doesn't it? Damn them for not making a blower for my 98 GT yet!!!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

SF Bay area, where the local performance shop was happy to give me an estimate of $1800 to install the KB blower.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Holy f*ck! I ain't paying nobody $1800 to install a KB blower! Btw... I think I've decided against any roots blower.. twin-screw is sounding the absolute best now.

and

I think your KB was probably the best choice =). I'll wait for KB to make one for my 98 GT.. unless I find another twin-screw blower that just makes me cream my pants.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Shit i meant against any centrifugal blower.. not against any roots blower.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset