SVO Caliper Nightmare!!!

This is a continuation of a previous post but I still have not come up with a solution.

I still can't seem to figure out why my brake pads won't fit my SVO

73mm steel piston calipers that i bought from 50resto.com who have been absolutely ZERO help. The best they have told me is that I need to try to bend out the prongs on the clip on back of my pads to make it fit the 73mm piston. Then they tell me that if I do bend them that they will not be able to accept a return on them. So I can't use the pads I bought AND if I try to do what THEY told me to do I can't return them if it doesn't work. Does this sound ridiculous to anybody else???

I am curious to see if anyone else has had this problem, I tried every pad I could get my hands on and none fit. I think I am missing part of the caliper but when I called 50resto to tell them they pulled one off the shelf and said it looks just like the ones I have. I don't know what to do anymore but return them but I still want to upgrade to

73mm piston calipers. anyone have any (other) advise???
Reply to
GT5OH

Call up these guys, they race SVO, and are mustang experts, top notch and honest. They can find the part for you too.

Mike Fleagle

GT5OH wrote in news:7bdb5a03-3b15-4dbc-bb5e- snipped-for-privacy@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I can't really understand your post. What did you buy from 50resto - the calipers, the pads, or both?

Why won't the pads work? Is it that there is not enough room to fit the second pad between the piston and the rotor? Have these calipers ever been used?

If the calipers have been used, that piston must be COMPLETELY pushed back into it's socket. I had a hell of a time putting new pads on my Capri because of this.

The best way of pushing the piston back is to open the bleeder valve, then use some kind of compression clamp to push the piston in. A C-clamp works nicely. Be prepared for a stream of fluid from the bleeder valve.

Reply to
elaich

Ok just to answer your question I did buy everything from 50Resto the calipers are brand new....

but I did find out why the pads won't fit....

I called the manufacturer of the calipers which happens to be maximum motorsports (which is where I should have bought them) and they told me that 50Resto should have either sold me or added in with the calipers an anti-rattle clip that clips onto the back of the pad to make it fit tightly. This piece costs about $3.50 each. I am so mad at 50Resto for not being familiar with the products they sell. They can be sure I will not be ordering from them anytime soon. So hopefully when I have time this weekend with $7 worth of parts I can finally put my new brakes on....hopefully it works.

I'll let you guys know and thanks for all the help.

GT5OH

Reply to
GT5OH

Sorry to hear about your troubles with 50Resto. I've just placed my first order with them, for a pair of door handle bezels (better not forget the screws), both of which are cracked in the convertible.

For serious components, I like Mustangs Unlimited, but I'll be trying out

50Resto for all of those little annoyances that have popped up over the years. I still have to replace TFrog's hood grille (the piece of plastic just in front of the windshield), that was smashed when a tree limb came down some years ago.

dwight

dwight

I have a ball-peen hammer. The short dimension of its oval wooden handle fits between the sides of the opening that need separating. The wide dimension does an adequate separation when the hammer head is used as a grip to twist the handle.

Saved a trip to the tool store.

Reply to
Frank ess

Yeah I have actually ordered from them many times with no problems (mostly for that small cosmetic stuff too) so I guess you are right about ordering the more serious parts from somewhere else because they seem to not be very knowledgeable about some of their parts... I guess I will remember that next time! And hopefully I can get my brakes put on this weekend with no trouble...

Sean

Reply to
GT5OH

Try using pads for a Lincoln LSC or Crown VIC. (Cars that came standard with 73mm calipers)

Reply to
Ironrod