Swap 5.0 HO & EEC-IV into 1988 Ford LTD

I realize that this post is slightly off-topic, and for that I apologize in advance.

I am trying to plan an engine/computer swap for my project vehicle. I want to install a complete mustang-spec engine into a 1988 Ford LTD Crown Vic. The speed density EFI engine currently in the LTD just has too many limitations to mod.

For what its worth, the vehicle is a Police Package 5.0L non-HO. It has a 3.55 rear-end, true dual exhaust, and a nice ride. The engine is near dead now after 250,000 miles, but has run well over 100 mph in the last 6 months.

I have seen several 5.0 GT-40 crate engines and even 347 strokers that would make nice power. It would have to be mated to a Lentech AOD package. I realize that this will require all new accessories and brackets to go along with the engine. My concern is how the electrical system will relate to the EEC-IV computer and wiring harness.

Should I start with a stock 5.0L HO and EEC-IV, and then try to mod that set-up once all the kinks are worked out? Or should I put the more powerful engine in first then try to work from there? Will the EEC-IV computer and harness adapt well to this application? Is there any real benefit from swapping the 3.55 rear end with a 3.73 gearing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind spending the money to do the job right, as this vehicle has significant sentimental value to me.

Reply to
Lee Ledford

Lee,

These are the guys you want to talk to....

Tell them ERIC (P71_Interceptor) sent you there!

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu