Synthetic Blends

Does anyone else here think this could be true?

Dave

10 weight oil implies low viscosity, and the Einsteinian model shows that viscosity is proportional to molecular size. So, in a sense he is right that the molecules are smaller. But, for optimum lubrication the molecules need to be of a certain configuration and they need to be large enough to be displaced only slowly.

He is partially correct, and partially off base.

Reply to
<HLS

question "What's 10W30 mean?"

the time? I had no answer. He said that since the 1950's he has run only pure 10 weight oil in every car he's ever owned. He said that once in the late '50's there was a recall, he took the car in and the mechanics were astonished by how perfect the interior of his engine was.

thus allowing more of them to get to bearing surfaces, etc. and providing better lubrication overall.

viscosity is proportional

smaller. But, for optimum lubrication

enough to be displaced

I may have been absent that day in Chem (it's only been since

1963-64), but I thought that the molecules were the same size for a given chemical, with the difference being either the spacing between molecules as with the difference between ice and boiling water, or the numbers or protons/neutrons encircling the atom as with the difference between regular water (that's kitchen , not bathroom) and heavy water.
Reply to
Spike

Maybe the consistency of the oil increases as the wear on the engine does so leaks don't get any worse? :) Nevertheless, anyone advocating it is a cheap loser.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Has the consumer *ever* had all the data they wanted on a product when a company is marketing it for a profit? Hell no!

When can you tell when a salesman is lying? Excuse me, salesperson.

When their lips are moving.

Reply to
John

And yet, you manage to make one of yourself by mearly pressing the reply button.

Reply to
WindsorFox

And I know people that still are chemists and engineers for oil companies and the companies that make addatives and they tend to disagree. If you still were in said industry you would know that since all the major oil companies have some form of synthetic on their line up it's okay to admit the truth. But not too okay because if EVERYone went to 20K mile plus change intervals, well, SOMEONE is gonna miss a Lamborghini payment, and we just can't have that.

Reply to
WindsorFox

WindsorFox wrote in news:i9Scf.2980 $4n5.1610@dukeread01:

LOL! You're just too funny, WF. So how often do you change your Amsoil anyway?

Reply to
Joe

WindsorFox wrote in news:ghScf.2981$4n5.2678@dukeread01:

So how often do you change your Amsoil, WF?

lol

Reply to
Joe