T-Frog -- All You Need Is a Turbo Tuneup.

140,000 miles and 450 HP.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

I like the end of the article when the list starts adding up... and then there's getting the suspension and rest of drive train to handle it (or even use it) for the long term. And while that car has 140K on it, I doubt the drivetrain or engine does.

Reply to
Brent

agree, drivetrain cant take that much for long time. Also have to change fuel rail size to get to 450 even with the big fuel pump

220, if it has 140K miles on it, the compression wont be the same on all the cylenders, it will be higher than a new engine, the motor will have carbon built up in it, and the water flow will be poor as the passages are mucked up, engine will run HOT. And you cant keep the engine cool enough to use much of that HP with time. AND many of the rubber parts will be snozzed, engine wiring is starting to have problems (due to years of crossion) Paint AND that torque/HP is on the high end of RPM, not much push you back in your seat umph at start so Im still saving my money for 2011 with a whipple or KB. (40k or so) ...........
Reply to
biofilm

$6,000 for a gently-used Fox? First one with $6,000 gets to drive my car away (and, yes, it is a fully-functional gently-used Fox).

I went through the exercise years ago - priced out a new 302 crate engine ($3,200), then started adding up all of the other components I would have needed. At the time, complete with a killer paint job, I would have spent between $10K and $12K on that project. In the end, I decided that TFrog was just fine the way it was.

These days, staring retirement in the face (in 10 years), I'd gladly take $6,000 for TFrog, another $6,000 for CFrog, and plop that money down on a new V6 with two and only two options (performance package and illuminated door sills). Let someone else dump all that money into an 18-year-old Fox.

dwight

dwight

I know a couple guys who put blowers on 5.0s with that sort of mileage and ran them for a couple years without issue. Mild boost though --

6lbs.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

"dwight" wrote in message news:jg3hk8$cc5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

I sold my 1993 after having it 14 years, I put a used KB 8# supercharger on it (bought SC out of Autotrader), had to rebuild the engine a couple years ago, and the car was too brutal for the wife/kids to ride in ( actually that is good news). But I started haveing drive train vibrations, and was tired of putting more money into the car. It was very fast, great for in town. Scary for front passenger seat people. (from memory, so some of these are ballpark) Car from Cop Car aution $6,000 SC - $1,700 motor rebuild - $3,300 (10 years later) SC rebuild $1200 (10 years later) ..................................... clutch(s) - 600 Heater core (2 times) - 1200 headers - 250 Radiators (2 times) - $400 altinator - 150 Battorys - 400 fuel pump 220 l/hr installed $130 - Tires - $500 Clutch Quadrent 90 Motor Mounts (two times) Tune $350 water pump (two times) shocks, other stuff...... ................... So I had about $16,000 into it, and then the drive shaft was vibrating funny, it seems like the car had a new noise or sound happening when I drove it. I did not trust the engine rebuild totally, for a few minor reasons. So I sold it, for about $6500 which was a little low, but the paint sucked, "rub off blue" with your finger, cheap paint over the black and white cop car, you could start to see the black and white even. Saw it on the freeway a month ago, they had painted it, and put a scoop on the hood, looked good, sounded great, an old friend. I should have kept it. But now I dont have to work on it, which is OK...

overall the cost was about $800 per year driving it (no gasoline in that cost) or about $3/day. Well worth it, nice and fast, lots of torque, no bog.

Reply to
biofilm

.

I understand that. I was facing the same thing with my '93 Cobra. Do I freshen it up and add some extra ponies or do I sell and just buy new? Do I want to turn wrenches and play, or do I just want to drive? For me, it was a no brainer -- I don't have the extra garage space needed and I didn't want to add another vehicle to the inventory for the times the '93 would "under the knife." So I bought new and didn't look back.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

Like anything, longevity has a lot to do with how much foot you put into it and how often.

Reply to
WindsorFo

And that's where factory power wins. The whole car is built around people putting their feet into it considerably more than most people would. The manufacturer has warranty costs to avoid for the whole car. Nobody who makes the parts for modding a car has to worry about the other parts that might break from the additional power. That's the owner's problem to think it through and try to figure it out before finding the weak points the hard way.

Reply to
Brent