T10 Transmission Rebuild

Which way is the 1st/2nd Gear Synchronizing Hub (the part with the inserts, a.k.a. "keys" or "struts") supposed to be oriented? That is, which side faces the front?

This hub is a sub-part of part #80 at

. It (or a similarly shaped one) is shown in the photo (beneath the words "... and also thicker and wider gapped teeth very noticeable in the picture") at
. One can see the lip on one side of the hub. That's what we're unsure about: Is the lip side of the hub closer to the aft end or forward end of the mainshaft? This is for a circa 1965, 289 in^3, V8 Mustang.

I am taking a manual transmissions automotive course. This is the first time the instructor has overseen student breakdown and re-assembly of this particular transmission. Worse, he has already sent us down a few wrong paths. Unfortunately my team and I did not make decent drawings prior to disassembly (dummies all). Nor do we have a factory service manual. I finally located some drawings on the net and an old Chilton's manual description of this transmission's assembly. We're losing time and need to move onto other aspects of the drivetrain. (Though I can see us easily spending the rest of the course getting this tranny back together. We're also supposed to fix the tranny, since it won't go into reverse.) Help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Elle

transmissons like that are a real "B"...in my experience it was not worth my time, had to replace the entire thing anyway.

-Megan

1965 coupe/289/v8
Elle wrote:
Reply to