Tail shaft bearing replacement part 2

See my previous post : Loose trans mainshaft. Car in question is 99 v6 AODE 'vert.

Well I was able to get under there and replace the bearing and seal today. The whole job took about an hour. We had to turn down a seal puller 20 thousands to fit the old bearing and press it out (and press the new one in).

The old bearing measured O.D. exactly what the new bearing measured, but the old bearing was oblong when measured I.D. Not really enough to see with the naked eye, but measurements varied by more than a few thousanths, proving the bearing was very worn. There is far much less play in the mainshaft with the slip-yoke installed now.

Everything was easily accessable to get the tail shaft housing off of the trans with the trans still in the car, the bolts were all 13mm or 15mm,

6-point, except the pinion flange to driveshaft bolts, which are 12mm 12point.

The vibe is gone, and the clunking is 99% better. There is still some clockwise-counterclockwise play, but enough that it is acceptabtle as tolerances inside the transmission. Not bad for 10 bux.

Thanks to all for the input and help.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Thanx for the info. Nice to know that not every job is a nightmare.

Reply to
.boB

definately need to have two 6" extensions or a 12" extension to get on the top bolts with an air ratchet, but it wasn't bad.

Carl

Reply to
Carl