Technology Is Freaking Cool!

Read this!

"Isuzu's new 3.5-liter direct injection gasoline V-6 improves the power and efficiency of it's" blah blah blah whatever SUV models. "By injecting fuel under extremely high pressure, the liquid droplets are much finer, for more complete and efficient combustion, and they evaporate in the cylinder, which has the effect of cooling the combustion chamber. The cooler charge prevents knock, which allows Isuzu to increase the compression ratio from 9.1 to 10.3:1 while running on _regular 87-octane fuel_. Improved fuel control also allows the idle speed to drop from 750 to 600 rpm and the fuel to be shut off completely during certain coasting situations. The combined effects of these improvements _increases horsepower_ from 230 to 250 horsepower and torque from 230 to 247 pound-feet, and fuel economy goes _up_ 1 mpg on both city and highway cycles."

Now think about this. If Ford were to offering this technology on their 4.6, the GT Mustang's bigger displacement motor, would probably go up from 260 horsepower to about 285. Pretty cool... get a 20-25 horsepower increase and an extra mile-per gallon to boot!! Too bad I can't buy a mod from Summit that'll do the same things for my Cobra.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

An actual production engine on this principle at long last. (the concept has been around for awhile but had various issues, mostly emissions if I remember right)

Reply to
Brent P