Test Drove 2006 GT W/ Dealer installed Vortech Super Charger at Ford Dealership

One week ago Sunday, My Friend & I test drove a 2006 Mustang GT automatic transmission, with a Dealer installed Vortech Super Charger w/intercooler. They claimed 480 Horsepower.

I liked: Nearly imperceptible, without opening the hood, very discreet modification. The insanely fast spin up to redline. :-))) MUCH much quicker than the stock GT

I didn't like: This thing hit redline and the rev-limiter so quick it was amazing. When standing on it, at full throttle, it would hit the rev-limiter before each shift??? The power comes on at somewhat high RPM's, I would prefer more power at lower RPM.

Even with the rev-limiter kicking in, this thing was crazy quick!

I was quite impressed with the mild mannered yet huge power improvement. I was very disappointed with the (tuning issues?) that had this car hitting the rev-limiter and shutting down before every shift.

Comments?

Reply to
My Names Nobody

the notorious S.O.P (seat of pants) meter will lie everytime !

"just the facts ma'am"

Reply to
DRAGNET

The car is acting exactly the way is should with a centrifugal supercharger installed. They will not make appreciable boost until

4,500-5,000 rpm. Once they start making boost you will have a very short rpm window before hitting the redline. This is why I prefer a twin screw or roots blower for a mostly street driven car. With a Kenne Bell supercharger you will have full boost from just off idle to redline. What this means is big torque and horsepower gains all through the rpm range and not just a 1,000-1,500 rpm range as with a centrifugal. Some people like the power rush from a centrifugal blower but, IMO, I think most would prefer a twin screw for the broad power band and smooth power delivery.
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

agreed. KB is in full boost about 1600, a little above idle. Would a ford dealership will install a KB, and keep the warranty?

some of the superchargers for the 06,07 only generate 3 to 4 pounds,

480/300 = 1.6, 1.6 *14 = 22.4 22.4- 14 = 8.4 pounds boost

I think there is another twin screw out there for the 06, 07 too. flyer is around her somewhere.

Did the dealership reprogram to take off the torque limiter so you can peal out? (only major beef I have with the car, so far)

93 5.0 8# 87 5.0
Reply to
Chumley Doright

Twin screw?? Is that when you go to a dealership and have to talk to both the salesman AND the sales manager???

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Oh it was leaving twin sets of black marks between each rev-limited (Kinda like an exaggerated lifting your foot off the throttle) shift, with the traction control off.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Ya-but are all 2005 and newer supercharged 4.6's with automatics going to spin up to the rev-limiter faster than they shift gears??? I could seriously consider a $26,000 GT with a $6,000 Kenne Bell Kit rather then getting screwed on a Shelby GT500, but this slow/non-sifting rev-limit hitting behavior sucks...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

What?

Lie?

The supercharged 4.6 spins up much faster under load than the naturally aspirated one does. That is a fact...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

yes but how quick is "crazy quick" in real time, 0-60 ,1/4m. how quick did it feel?

Reply to
DRAGNET

real time, 0-60 ,1/4m. how quick

Not quite sure how this would compare but....

Lidio at Alternative Auto has a Vortech on his 2005 GT automatic.... instead of the Vortech intercooler he is running methonal/water injection.. Without the meth/water he was around 400RWHP... with the meth/water he was at about 475RWHP. He was running low 11's (with the meth/water). This is with 20 inch wheels and street tires!

So... my thinking is the 480 is probably a little optimistic... but probably not way way off... I would think the car should be good for mid-11's....????

As far as the shifting and rev-limiter... yikes.. sounds like some one needs to get that thing tuned! Lower the shift points and/or raise the revlimiter... LOL! Apparently they are too close together... LOL!

Reply to
John S.

could be a mismatch, dealer does not have the technical expertise to know that's wrong, and they are trying to unload the car.

Reply to
Chumley Doright

I believe the technical term for what you describe is a "double a$$ reaming followed by a wallet rape." ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

It shouldn't be less a problem with an automatic. With a manual you need to be a skilled, and fast, shifting driver.

First and second gears could easily bounce off the rev limiter with a twin screw too. It is the nature of the beast. Especially, with a manual tranny.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

with no reach around to boot

Reply to
DRAGNET

real time, 0-60 ,1/4m. how quick

They are probably quoting numbers at the crank and not the rear wheels. That would equate to around 400 rwhp.

IMO, it takes a skilled driver. If the driver isn't up to the task it doesn't matter where the rev limiter is set. Also, setting it too high is a recipe for disaster. Ifit is an auto than it should not hit the rev limiter. In that case a good shift kit is in order to provide faster shifting with less lag.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Dammit Jim,I'm a car salesman,not a mechanic"

Reply to
DRAGNET

Yup, you'll get better treatment in a max security prison.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

in real time, 0-60 ,1/4m. how quick

rear wheels.

Since the OP said it was an automatic I'll stick with talking about an automatic...

Their is no such thing as a shift kit for the S197 automatics... it is all computer controlled, including the shift pressures... So yes, it could be that the shift is to soft and slow so the RPMs go to high before the shift completes.... perhaps simply firming up the shift would help... So again... sounds like the car just needs to go to someone that knows how to tune S197 automatics...

Or again... perhaps the shift point and the rev-limit are just to close together... again, just tune it to shift earlier...

Reply to
John S.

in real time, 0-60 ,1/4m. how quick

rear wheels.

For some reason my pea sized brain thought he was driving a manual.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

naw... it's just Monday... LOL!

Reply to