The Bronco Returns?

Now this is a cool Ute!

Finally, Ford pens a sharp-looking SUV. C'mon Ford... build it!

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Looks like an H2 mated with a Scout !

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

I thought the same thing. H2 grill with Scout sheetmetal. Removable top?

Reply to
John

I think it looks kinda like the very very first Bronco's. Falling in line with the whole "retro" thing that Fords is doing right now. Remember the removable roof Bronco's? That's what it looks like to me.

Scott W. '66 Mustang HCS '68 Fury III

Reply to
Scott Williams

My first thoughts were some H2 character, but I definately see the original early Bronco lines in this thing especially around the wheel wells. The rear top has the classic Bronco look as well which goes with the whole resto thing.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

My first thought was that it looked a lot like the original, which of course they failed to mention in the article. Gotta like factory NOS!

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Great! Now Ford fanatics can have a REALLY STUPID (Mid-life crises, should have done my time in the military) LOOKING, Original Hummer look-a-like "standard SUV drive train" with a really ugly idiodic body on top just like the Chevy guys!

Please!

Reply to
351CJ

I guess... if you don't mind driving an ugly assed box on wheels. What the heck is going on withthis new cardboard cutout thing from the designers these days??

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

Thank you :) even tough I AM a Ford fanatic!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

Well The original Military HMMWV's "humvee" were almost tolerable, because they had one of the most innovative new suspensions and drivetrains to come along since well, the first jeeps. The body's were ugly as shit but because of the "innovative suspension and drivetrain" they were VERY functional "off road"! They decided to sell a civilian version, that was cool, it was just too damn expensive for most folks.

Then some marketing executive over at GM figured out they could plop that horrendously god-awful UGLY body on top of their standard SUV frame and sell a bunch of "Poor Mans Hummers" (remember the Opal GT, the "Poor Mans Corvette" ?) to all the fools who don't know, can't tell or don't care that it's not really a Hummer, but it is STILL BUTT-UGLY!

I literally laugh out loud when I see some poor bastard who has chosen too pay way too much money for one of these 4X4's and didn't realize he was actually getting a "Poor Mans Hummer"!

Now all the rest of the automakers are trying to get in on the action.

Ford, PLEASE DON'T DO IT!

Reply to
351CJ

It looks like it should say "TONKA" on it.

__ John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Which SUVs do you like the looks of?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Patrick, that thing looks awful. Like someone said before, it's an H2 front end mated with an old Scout rear.

IMO, one of the best-looking SUVs is the BMW X5.

Joe

The Porsche's are nice looking too.

I also like the VW SUV that is based on the Porsche chassis.

Michael Johnson, PE

IIRC, there was a Tonka promotion at one point. Don't be surprised if they revive it if they make this thing.

JS

Reply to
JS

Obviously I'm not 351CJ, but I'll throw my $0.02 in anyway...

My favorite SUVs: Any Wrangler, CJ, or classic WWII -> Vietnam era Jeep. The original Bronco. IH Scout. The late-model full-sized Bronco. Those K5 Blazers are nice. Oh, also the original Humvee (in military trim, please). All highly capable off-road, and body repair could be done with a sledgehammer and a can of Rustoleum. :)

IMO, this Bronco concept looks like a bad cross between a Honda Element and an H2 (and I don't like either). It's got a strong hint of the original Bronc, but they took "modern retro" WAY too far over the top for my tastes. Somehow it lacks the same character as the original.

PS: Does the WRX-Sti count as a sport-utility? More sport than utility methinks. ;) Get rid of the gold wheels and the monster wing, and I'd love one.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

As someone who actually has a Bronco (and a 5.0), I can tell you that thing is waaay too under powered and cute to compare to the old beasts. My 1980

351 gets 9 mpg in the city if I'm nice to it; 13 on the highway on cruise. But it runs *over* anything. And it looks like it would standing still. Personally, I mock all SUVs. Until you can compete with the original Bronco, you're a joke. Thus, this "Bronco" is a joke...

Brad

Reply to
Brad

The two and only FX(35/45)! Everything else is blah IMO.

Reply to
ih8tspam2

I like the Escape and the Xterra.... that's about it. Used to like the Explorer until they turned it into a van shape.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

Thats what I thought when I first looked at it too. Looks good IMHO. I love those old bronco's. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.