the electric mustang

I know this sounds like the destruction of all that muscle cars stand for, but has anyone heard of modifying classic cars to go all "green." There has recently been a lot of hype about retro-fitting modern cars like jettas, saturns, and other cars with electric motors. Does anyone know of this being successfully done in a classic mustang? Thanks

Concerned about the earth, Adam

Reply to
Seybertron

No, but I'm smart enough to know that if we dont start building modern nuclear power plants then all this talk about 'green electric cars' is a joke!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Electric motors can have huge torque, they just cost a lot, and need lots of current to do it.

Reply to
Zod

I'm glad to hear that there are others out there that recognize the need for nuclear power plants. I am a nuclear engineering major at the United States Military Academy. Nuclear technology is the way of the future....but I can't run my mustang on atoms yet

Reply to
Seybertron

Yeah... But you COULD charge the battery with it. With almost NO CO2 emissions

Most greens dont have a clue about conversion efficiencies... that's why they still babble on about ethanol and dual-fuels, which basically do nothing but line the pockets of the major corparations they profess to hate, until those corps get into us so much that they are nationalized, that is...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

And gee!!!!

I violated my own creedo, 'Google FIRST!' I didnt because, as a tech hip young'un, I thought you would have:

Got it in FIVE seconds!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Not a Mustang. But here's a couple of guys building an electric Daytona Coupe.

.boB

The Arizona DOT shop built a Fox Body Mustang electric car about 10 years ago. They got a DPS 5sped 5.0LX that was going to go to auction and turned it into a battery powered conversation piece for a few years. I think something broke in it because I recall looking at it when it was finally auctioned off and it was not operable. Had it been in working condition I would have considered buying it. I almost wish I had anyway.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

A couple of years ago a couple from Fountain Hills, Az built a 50h.p. (IIRC) '89 vert from a wrecked 4 cyl car. It was a nice job. We invited them to our club meeting, but they thought we wouldn't like it being converted to electric. Never saw them again.

Hank

Reply to
hank