The frame is cracked!!! AHHH!!!

Hey all!

Sorry I haven't posted or even lurked much recently, but school has had me bogged down....i did have a couple questions (man I'm always receiving so much help and never giving anything back i feel kinda greedy ;-) ).

So basically my 73 convertible began making a very bad clunk on starting and stopping, coming from the driver front side of the car.

It turns out that there is a big crack in the frame on that side :(

My question is a two parter:

  1. What could've caused this? I baby it like no other, don't drive hard at all, etc. Could it have been in an accident before I had it? I know I can't exactly carfax it, but what are the telltale signs that frame repair has been done in the past? Look for welds, etc.? The car is very rust-free so I can't imagine rusting out being the problem...

  1. Does anyone know of a good body/frame shop in the St. Louis metro area that works with older cars? I've heard of a place in Jefferson County, but that was just word of mouth and I would be much quicker to trust anyone in here before that!

Anyway, any help at all would be appreciated, along with any other advice you may have concerning this!

Thanks!

- Nick

------------------------------------

1973 Mustang Convertible 302, blue and silver
Nick D.

Nick,

Depending where the crack is (is it the frame, shock towers, front strut support, ???), it could be caused by simple age, metal fatigue, a prior accident in the cars history. Anything. Can you give us an exact location and description of it????? Can't help you with the restoration shop, but I'll bet the guys from the local Mustang Club can:

Hope you find this helpful.

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.

Nick D. wrote: