The Latest Thing In Engine Coolant

Pretty awesome stuff! It's been said to be as good as synthetic motor oil. It's called NPG "+", don't forget the plus sign. Check it out!

Patrick '93 Cobra Mustang

Reply to
Patrick

Interestingly, every page I viewed had "increases power" at the top of the list with NO particualrs as to how this feat is achieved....... Some of the stuff they write looks like it could have come right from some of Smokey Yunicks research back in the 50s and 60s..... too much like it could have come from Smokeys findings.... If your cooling system is up to snuff, you wont need "trick shit". If we are racing, antifreeze isn't a nice thing to lay down on the track if we have a "racing incident".

If this stuff is as good as synthetic motor oil, then I guess that pooched head gasket is no longer a problem???

Jim Warman

I go along with Jim. I read it and they are using a lot of "smoke and mirrors" type of marketing to me. In my opinion, if your cooling system is working correctly, NPG+ will REDUCE the heat removal capability over a 50/50 mix of PG and water. The forced convection heat transfer coefficient, which is mainly what is going on in the engine block, generated by water far exceeds that of almost all organic compounds, including glycols. The problem is water freezes at too high a temperature. The PG depresses this freezing point. Notice they did not say there would be an increase in the heat transfer coefficient (HTC), because it won't happen! And, if there is localized boiling at a hot spot, the HTC of condensing exceeds that of forced convetion! Yes, the thermal conductivity of steam is smaller than liquid water, but, again, the HTC of condensing exceeds that of forced convetion and that's the bottom line! These guys are taking facts that are true, but not that important to the big picture. Another example. If you use NPG+, your engine will run hotter because the HTC was reduced and it has to be compensated by a larger temperature difference between the engine and the coolant. And, yes, an engine will theoretically run more efficiently at higher temperatures. BUT, what else happens at temperatures higher than an engines designed for? BAD things! More expansion! Some clearances are exceeded and some become too tight! Temperature limits of parts are approached and possibly exceeded, which results in loss of strength. Watch out! Smoke and mirrors! Smoke and mirrors! Smoke and mirrors! These guys just want to double their sales of glycol!

Reply to
John

Some things do work, some don't. My grandfather, and auto mechanic for

40 years used to put graphite in his oil years before the oil companies started marketing it. His old Buick Roadmaster could still top 100 and never hestitated. If you want to read more claims.. pick up a JC Whitney catalog...; )

So, never believe everyth>Pretty awesome stuff! It's been said to be as good as synthetic motor

V'ger

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers
Reply to
V'ger

Very interesting. Some off their claims make sense, and others don't. But here's the thing that strikes me. It is a no-aquous solution. No water. Most of it's claimed benifits arise from being water free. So if you add water, even a small amount, then it doesn't work. So before you add that stuff, you must ensure that ALL of the water is gone from your system. I suppose a small amount left behind would be OK if you change to a zero pressure system. The small amount would eventually boil away. But you'de have to start by doing a straight water flush to remove all the old anti-freeze and other additives. Then remove the radiator and draining it well, and pull the block drain plugs (that always works well). But I don't understand how a higher operating temp allows you to run more timing and compression with less detonation. Seems to be opposite of what I know/believe.

Reply to
.boB