The Mustang - A Kid's Car?

Everyone has friends who they bounce things off of, to get a slightly different perspective from their own. I was a bit surprised that most of my friends seem to view the Mustang as a "kid's car". The fact that they perceive it as such, won't deter me from buying one. However, I am curious as to which age demographic makes up the largest percentage of Mustang owners. Thanks.

Greg in NJ

Reply to
Greg in NJ

couple, both 40 Kids are lucky if they get to ride in it and they know they will never drive it

65 pony

Gumby619

"I think its a Ford"

Reply to
Gumby619

A couple - Me, age 46, my wife age 48.

2 Mustangs. Her's is a 2002 GT - a few mods (sub frame connectors, Magnaflow exhaust, cold air induction, etc). Mine, '99 Cobra, a few more mods (sub frame connectors, Magnaflow exhaust, cold air induction, Steeda TriAx shifter, Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace and IRS bushings, etc).

Soo, I guess we are both kids then :)

Page (& Peggy)

Reply to
Page Nicholson

Reply to
John Wiebalk

I am 42, my wife is 35, she drives the 2000 GT Conv. almost everyday, and we just bought a '67. And we just sold the 1990. Dave

90 GT Conv. AOD Flowmasters K&N front end crunched 00 GT Conv. AOD Flowmasters Yes, Both are blue !
Reply to
Dave

I've had Mustangs since I was 17. My first car was a 1983 Mustang GLX convertible. V6 auto. Needed lots of help. I still drive it from time to time, though my friend now owns it (in his late 40's) and he's since changed the roof and took out the ailing V6 and dropped in a 5.0 5-speed.

I'm 25 now. I've owned....

*counts the Mustangs*

1983 - 3

1984 - 1 1985 - 1 1986 - 1 1987 - 1 1988 - 2 1989 - 0 1990 - 1 1991 - 0 1992 - 1 1993 through 1996 - 0 1997 - 1

So, it seems I'm on my 12th Mustang. Two of those were parts cars... the rest were driven around at least to some extent. Various 4 cylinders, a 6, and the rest were 8's. The ones that run that are currently in my possession are an '85 GT and a '97 Cobra. I'm pretty sure that the cost of the other 11 is close to the cost of the Cobra.

Is it a kid's car? Not really. It is, however a toy, and an addiction.

JS

Reply to
JS

Bought my 88GT Convertible when I was 17. I am 20 now.

Andy in AZ

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Adults drive Geo Metro's. Don't fall for the Mustang, they are only good for the children. Especially the Cobras.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Well, I had my first Mustang (97 V6 automatic) when I was 16.. I've loved Mustangs since my sister got her 91-92 (I forgot which) automatic Mustang LX convertible... I was about 11 or 12 then. I got my 98 Mustang GT when I was almost 18. I'm 19 now. Young, I know =). I think a Mustang is great for anybody of any age who will appreciate & respect the car. Just my 2 cents.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Well I'm 56 and my wife is 55. We went to the Steeda Stampede last Saturday. Based on the mustang owners there I would say it about even between the older (+30) and younger (-30) owners.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Actually, the median age for a Mustang owner these days in 34 years old. Time for you to join the local Mustang Club (only two in NJ) and learn a little more.

Bill S.

Greg > Everyone has friends who they bounce things off of, to get a slightly

Reply to
Bill S.

Couple, both 35. Car: 66 Convertible

Michel & Inge

"Greg in NJ" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Michel Wets

Reply to
joe

Couple: I'm 46, hubs is 59. Kids NEVER allowed to drive it. (not after the GT went through a brick wall)

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate

Yep, still being a kid at age 55 I can attest that Mustangs are definitely for kids. I have owned three Mustangs, the latest being a 95GT. Of course us kids are never satisfied with performance so I've made major modifications to it including suspension, brakes, driveline and most recently a 331 stroker. I've done all the work myself and all of its been done since I turned 50. So, YES, definitely a kids car!

LJH

95GT
Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Three for me. 86, 88, and now an 89. I am 28 and the wife if 27. My kids LOVE to go with Daddy in the Mustang, so sure...it is a kids car.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

largest

35 now. Got the Mustang when I was 34

Matt

89 5.0 GT Vert Currently accepting donations for mod projects
Reply to
Matt

I had, sometime ago, a 1978 Mustang II with a V6, wasn't what I thought a mustang should be. It wasn't until I hit 37 years old, that I did indeed pickup a real mustang, 1990 LX 5.0, Notchback, a black sleeper. I guess that makes me 37 year old kid. It's pretty tough to find a sleeper in a vette....lololol

1990 LX 5.0 Notchback 5 speed K&N Filter 3" Flowmasters Shorty headers 3.55 Gears
Reply to
Bogus1

I feel like a kid when I drive them. I'd suggest an adult paycheck if you either buy a new one, or decide to restore an old one. Maybe your friends need to get rejuvenated by taking a test drive in a new Mach or Cobra. Trix are for kids...

Reply to
Mustang_66

I guess Im still a kid... age 25 with a 2000 GT, I got it when I was 22

Reply to
Bryan