The New GT500 Is Freakin' Quick!

The lucky guys over at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords have just published a new story on their inside access to the development of the

2013 Shelby GT500. We earlier showed you a similar story from Road & Track, but while that article focused mostly on the handling improvements developed on the N=FCrburgring, this story from MM&FF goes into detail about how Ford has made the 2013 Shelby GT500 even faster at the dragstrip.

Similar to our overview of the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8, MM&FF gives a nice overview of the engine changes to the Shelby GT500 for

2013. What really interested us, though, are the details regarding the all new launch control system. An advanced version of the one featured in the 2012 Boss 302, the launch control system allows the driver to set a specific launch rpm, and combined with an advanced traction control system will allow the car to launch with virtually no slip. MM&FF got to experience the system at work and says that =93after seeing the system in action, we can report that it performs at the level of even the best quarter-mile hot shoes.=94 That=92s saying something, since editor Evan Smith is an experienced drag racer capable of getting the fastest times out of any car.

Ford also stated that the system is capable of adapting to a wide range of variables. =93It works in real time and changes with conditions,=94 says Dan Dunn, an engineer who worked on the 2013 Shelby GT500. =93It will adapt to changes in gearing within reason, and to many performance modification,=94

So what can we expect as far as 1/4 mile times from the 2013 Shelby GT500? MM&FF estimates that =93the 650hp GT500 will be capable of running 11.70s to 11.60s at well above 120 mph in bone-stock trim. In optimal conditions, perhaps quicker and faster. And with 4.30s and sticky tires, low 11s or even 10s could be possible.=94

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

How come a Dodge Dart with a Hemi could do high 10's in the late

1960's with a motor only rated at 425 gross horsepower? A Thunderbolt with a 427 could do mid 11's. None of them claimed to have 650hp which translated is probably 720 gross h.p. in the old system.
Reply to
Scammed Public

How come a Dodge Dart with a Hemi could do high 10's in the late

1960's with a motor only rated at 425 gross horsepower? A Thunderbolt with a 427 could do mid 11's. None of them claimed to have 650hp which translated is probably 720 gross h.p. in the old system.

Reply to
biofilm