The Return Of Large V8-Powered RWD Sedans?

Ford's Crown Vic is soon going to be feeling the heat. First, by Chrysler's new hot-selling 300C. And maybe soon by a new Chevy Caprice! Hey Ford, you might want to keep that Merauder idea alive by doing some updates and giving it a big infusion of horsepower.

---------- "General Motors may revive the Caprice name in North America with a V-8-powered rear-drive sedan called the Chevrolet Caprice Royale.

The new four-door sedan would be a variation on the Caprice that GM's Holden operation sells in Australia now, featuring several North American touches, including the famous Chevrolet bowtie badge on the front. GM has made no secret of its plan to use its far-flung global empire as a source of new cars for North America.

GM has not announced this Caprice for production yet, but is clearly testing the waters by leaving one out for the press to see during a visit to the company's testing grounds in Milford, Michigan.

It was left-hand-drive and had several cosmetic touches that clearly differentiated it from the Australian model.

Should GM decide to produce the Caprice Royale, it would be the biggest car in the Chevrolet fleet, running 5,193 millimetres in length on a 2,939-mm wheelbase and weighing in at about 1,780 kg.

The Caprice uses MacPherson struts up front with a sway bar and progressive-rate coil springs, and a control-link independent rear that also gets a sway bar and coil springs.

It's likely, however, that it would get a suspension retuning before coming to North America.

In the Pontiac GTO, which GM takes from the Holden Monaro, the

5.7-litre V-8 delivers 350 horsepower at 5,200 r.p.m. and 365 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 r.p.m. through a four-speed automatic, so we can probably expect similar output in the Caprice.

There is, of course, a chance that we will not see the Caprice in Canada even if it comes to the United States, because GM of Canada currently does not import the GTO.

GM dropped the Chevrolet Caprice Classic and its sister models, the Cadillac Fleetwood and Buick Roadmaster, when it ended production of its venerable "B-body" line in 1996. The Texas plant where the big rear-drive cars were assembled was converted to truck and sport-utility production.

------

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Well, all I can say is, bring on the RWD cars. About 15 years ago I worked with a guy that had family in Aussie. He brought home a Holden brochure and showed it to me at work. All the cars, of course, were rear drive and you could get a manual transmission in everything. The designs looked very modern. The cars were big but they had a light look to them, fully independent suspension, you know. It just looked like the next evolutionary step if CAFE hadn't come along, and the evolution was market-driven. He said, "wouldn't it be great if they imported this stuff"? "Why can't we get cars like this?" So finally it's coming at us, here in Lee Iacocca's FWD America.

It was about that time that Ford started importing the Sierra, which should have worked the same way. I think that was an example of a really great idea that was marketed so badly it managed to fail in spite of how perfect it was. Kind of the opposite of Microsoft, if you know what I mean.

Reply to
Joe

Ford needs to bring the Falcon over then too. :)

I loved the Marauder myself, but it was a little down on power for a car that big. It needed the 5.4 not the 4.6, but Ford didn't want numbers better than the older Cobras. I still swap my 95 Gt for one. It would be nice to have some more room.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

.>>>Ford needs to bring the Falcon over then too. :)

Had toyed with the idea of sending Falcons over there especially the xr6 ute version (ranchero) Had a friend here run thru the numbers as he does modern LHD to RHD conversions.Would have converted them to LHD but it meant they would be at least $35000++ US when they arrived.They start at around Us$14000 for the base model rhd here. Holden has also just recalled today115000 current models for a power steering fault.Probably encompasses the Monaro as well Dont know if LHD versions are affected.

STUART Sydney Australia

1965 convert 1989 asc mclaren 1962 morris 850 "cooperised"
Reply to
stuart henry

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Then you better hurry. According to the June Car & Driver, the Marauder is over. "Ford says it has made a decision 'to concentrate our resources on the new launches.'"

This mention of Ford's "new launches," together with NoOp Patrick's mention of GM's plan to import yet another offshore model and sell it as a "domestic," triggers my latest hobby horse rant. Which is, if Detroit wants to sell a rear drive like the GTO or this Caprice Royale, or a Jaguar-like or Saab-like or Volvo-like car, why don't they design and build one in the U.S. of A? Instead, they sink a greater amount of capital into buying these off-shore nameplates and putting corporate drivetrains into them, than it would cost to design and build the whole vehicle in the U.S. and selling it under a U.S. nameplate. Like Oldsmobile for example.

Come to think of it, Detroit is doing exactly the reverse of what Honda, Nissan, and Toyota do with their U.S. assembly plants. While these supposed "import" brands keep most of the assembly-line dollars in the U.S. -- wages, health care, retirement benefits -- GM and Ford take the Volvo, Saab, Jaguar, GTO or Caprice customer's dollars and send most of them to Europe or Australia (or Japan (Mazda) or Korea (Kia)).

I'm not saying Ford and GM (and let's not forget the Third Reich brand Daimler-Chrysler) shouldn't do what they gotta do to keep the doors open. I'm just saying, remember the true facts of the matter the next time some Detroit exec, or some politician, or some flag-waver pops off about some patriotic duty to buy "American."

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

The biggest problem with building them hear is the turn around time to get them out the door. Between re tooling a FWD plant for RWD (that's what killed the Caprice last time. GM needed more truck volume) as well as the design time they could miss the whole fad. If a desire for rwd remains strong then I'm sure they will start making them local.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

I don't think Ford has been able to get the 5.4 to fit under the bonnet of the Panther vehicles yet...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1