The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview mirror off the windshield.

Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did not fail; the glass did.

To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.

I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to- windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface?

Thanks!

Joe Colella snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Joe Colella

Joe,

Personally, I'd replace the windshield and dock Jr's allowance until it's paid for. If that's not an option, then I'd use a 2-part clear epoxy available through most stores.

Best of luck,

Mark Henry

2006 Mustang V6
Reply to
Mark Henry

Mark,

Like J B Weld?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Colella

Joe,

I don't have any experience with JB Weld for this application. I usually use Loctite Epoxy in the syringe:

You have to make sure that both the windshield and the glue are at the same temperature and within the proper operating range. The windshield and glass fragment will have to be completely clean before application.

Good luck,

mark h

Reply to
Mark Henry

Mark Henry wrote in news:41lOg.27554$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com:

If that chip turns into a crack, you can kiss the whole shebang goodbye. Now is the time to replace the whole windshield - forget about patching the hole. Don't mess around with windshields. 2 cents.

Joe

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe Colella

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
Joe Colella

Believe it or not, the windshield is actually part of the structural integrity of the vehicle. To patch it, is - well, in a word - stupid.

It would be a Comp claim on your insurance, get it taken care of and do it right. Trying to patch it is not only unsafe, could get you a ticket, it could shatter in your face while going down the freeway or whatever. Don't be a knucklehead, get it done, and get it done RIGHT

Kate

Reply to
Kate