This Time I'm Going With General Tires

It was time for some new shoes (tires) for my Mustang, so I did my usual search on Tire Rack.com. I selected all the brands for my size, gave it a spin and my initial search spit out about 30 different tires. Then after carefully reviewing their/Tire Rack's test results, I was able to rule out all of them but two models: the successor to the current tire on my Mustang (Firestone Firehawks SZ50s) Firestone's new Firehawk Wide Ovals, and surprisingly, a tire made by General their Exclaim UHP. I must say I have loved my Firehawk SZ50s. They've been the best tire I've ever had on one of my cars. They gripped like heck, cut through deep water, were quiet on the highway, and have worn extremely well. So why did I go with the Generals this time around? It was two things: The Generals are considerably lighter 23 vs the Firestone's 28 pounds. (5 pounds less unsprung weight on each corner will be noticeable.) And price. The Generals are but, get this, only

79 bucks a pop!! With such good test results/reviews and an amazing low price, I feel I can't go wrong. I should have them mounted up this weekend. After I get a few miles on them (General Exclaim UHP 245/45WR17), I'll post a review. Stay tuned...

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

My guess.... vibration probs after a few thousand mile.. unable to balance. Not a 'General brand' problem, a 'cheap tire' problem

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

A higher price doesn't guarantee higher quality.

Also, many of the reviewers had significant mileage on their Generals and they were still raving about them.

Plus, I've owned Generals before and they served me well.

But good or bad, I'll keep you posted.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

"Sooner or later, you'll own General's!"

Reply to
Brian Bunin