Thump Thump Thump... or bye bye Mach-460

I've had the Mach-1 since September, and been toying with the idea of scrapping the Mach460 sound system that comes stock... Well, yesterday was the day.

Dropped the speaker/amp rack outta the trunk and started the new project...

2 guys, 10 hours later, she's got one heckuva heartbeat!

Alpine CDA-9811 HU Alpine MRV-F540 80wRMSx4 amp Alpine MRD-M500 500wRMS sub amp JBL 6x8 components up front JBL 6x8 coaxials in the rear deck Alpine 10" Type-R DVC sub in 1.0cu Q-Logic box.

Still a LOT of tuning to do, but man she cranks... Of course, wiring was the most time consuming - and figuring out how to mount the amps was no small feat either (used MDF on the back of the seats, and mounted the amps to the MDF - the F540 is wider than a single seat so we had to "marry" the seats to make them only able to fold down as a single unit.

I still have some wiring cleanup (didn't have any P-clips yesterday), and had to use a bunch of red wire for grounds (all I had on hand), so I'll be making a trip to the store for some more appropriate colored wiring (black) for the ampgrounds/d-block/mainground.

We mounted the crossovers inside the doors - Used 3M double-sided adhesive tape, and stuck them right on the flat part of the door inside the speaker holes. It was like they were made to fit there. We completely gutted the interior, with the exception of the seats. Not a wire to be seen anywhere. Ran the drivers side speaker wire in the trim above the drivers head, 4 gauge power down the drivers side, and 3 sets of RCA's and the remote turn-on lead down the passenger side. All RCA's shielded, twisted, laying right next to main harness - not a lick of noise.

I was very iffy about the JBL GTO series speakers - but my son has a set in his Integra and I love them...so thought I'd try them in the Mach1 - 2 words.... They ROCK. They're bright, but that's how I like 'em - and with the tweets mounted in the sail pods....even my 42 year old ears can still hear the treble.

All in all, a day well spent.

Reply to
Gary Rodgers

With the exception of the head unit, I used the similar Alpine & JBL pieces in my '66. I did it mostly to tick off my daughter, and all she would say is "You're too old for that system". "You don't need that stuff to listen to those "oldies" you like to play!" I'm only 49!

Equipment - $1500 Installation - 25 hours Ticking my daughter off - Priceless!

Now that I bought the Mach 1, she's just speechless! :-)

Reply to
Mustang_66