Time for a tuneup! What parts required?

Having my '96 GT tuned up on Friday. I know copper plugs are best. What about ignition wires? Stockers or? What else needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance!

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

Lemmie see... Plugs (your choice, I prefer OEM) Wires if they're old (OEM is good) PCV valve Injector cleaner in a full tank Clean your MAF Replace or clean your air filter Oil change A good bath Detail the interior and the engine compartment. A fresh coat of wax and ...a kiss on the hood so she knows you love her

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

don't forget that fuel filter too... and muffler bearings ;0)

Reply to
RioRedGT

Thanks, Kate. I will probably stick with OEM stuff. I can't really see a reason to upgrade, if there's no obvious difference. But if there is...? :-)

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

Personally, I like to go OEM. They always fit, and they seem to last longer than the aftermarket stuff. Of course, they cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for!

Kate Like Rio said, don't forget to get those muffler bearings!

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Forgive my ignorance, but what are muffler bearings?

However, I doubt it matters, 'cause the baffles are blown in my Flowmasters. I was told it's from all the water in the local gas?? It really stinks, too, 'cause I don't have the money to replace them. :-(

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

oh that was a joke ;0) bearings are what let the wheels spin, etc Here's where all the automotive jokes are:

click on anything under "Parts" on the left....enjoy ;0)

Reply to
RioRedGT

Oh... LOL! I was wondering! Jeesuz...now I feel really stupid. :-} And I DID know about wheel bearings...just to clarify. ;-)

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

The best place to find them is in a boat shop, usually next to the cans of waterline.

Kate

| > Kate | > Like Rio said, don't forget to get those muffler bearings! | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

While your local gasoline may or may not contain water (not a healthy prospect since it will plug off fuel filters, cause other damage and isn't real fun below freezing), the water that rots your mufflers is created in the combustion process and is inescapable...

As for the tune-up, the others have given sound advice.

Flowmasters.

Reply to
Jim Warman

C. Olofsson opined in news:iXx7b.14767$QT5.5223@fed1read02:

I really doubt that. Rusted exhaust internals are usually due to the "Short Trip" syndrome, coupled with poor materials.

Burning hydrocarbons makes water

If you dont get your exhaust up to heat point to boil out water and keep it there a while, the insides are gonna rust.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You should have heard some of the jokes we played on fresh recruits in the Army. Here are a few of them and the meaning of the joke:

"We need you to go get a bucket of Rotor Wash and clean the blades on the main and tail rotors." (Rotor Wash is actually the air that is moved downward by the main rotors on a helicopter. The poor guy/gal spends a couple of hours trying to find some rotor wash so they can 'complete their mission')

"Hey Private! Go ask the supply clerk for 3 feet of fallopian tube so we can fix the pitot static system!" (Anyone who knows the female reproductive anatomy knows what fallopian tubes are. The joke is when the private goes to the supply clerk and asks HER for the item, he either gets sucker punched or slapped silly. The pitot static system has a plastic tube that runs from the port on the front of the helicopter to the airspeed gauge)

There's also jokes about sending someone to get some "flight line" to tie up packages and "grid squares" to patch holes. Flight Line is the area where you park aircraft and grid squares are the equivalents of latitude and longitude lines on a military map. Of course, there are many more jokes like these that I can't remember, but are hilarious when someone is asked to go get something.

Reply to
Greg B.

Then if I drove for longer periods it would have helped? I drive for maybe half an hour at a time, if that much.

So...I guess you are saying Flowmasters are "poor materials"? ;-) Hm, all this time I was expecting them to rot on the outside first!

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Very nice looking car, Cindy. Love those headlamps lol. I want sooooome!!

*sniffle* I saw some for $170 approx... a bit too much for me right now. I just wrecked my folks mini-van & having to pay $570 deductible... so all I can afford right now is getting the intake manifold replaced.. then it'll be another month or 2 before I can get the clutch fixed & Tri-Ax short-throw shifter put in (which I'll do myself, but gotta have the part ;]). Anyway... nice car! =D

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

I was a flight equip tech in the AF working with MH-53J's, I remember when one of our pilots made note in the logs that the radar wasn't operating in the O-F-F mode. The crew chief didn't think it was very funny.

Reply to
Mike King

C. Olofsson opined in news:boH7b.15816$QT5.5299@fed1read02:

COULD be marginal...

depends on exhaust dia too...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

sooooome!!

short-throw

You were driving a mini-van! SHAME ON YOU!

now for your punishment go out and drive your mustang 100 times, saying.."I will not drive a mini-van..I will not drive a mini-van"

Matt

89 5.0 GT Vert ($1841 for the new tranny..but she is up and running!)
Reply to
Matt

How about "I cannot drive the mini-van because it's wrecked--I cannot drive the mini-van because it's wrecked" :P

Reply to
memsetpc

Thanks, Jim. Got the tune-up today and I'm very happy! :-) The car runs much smoother now. And all that background noise in the stereo system is totally GONE!!!!!! I'm very, very, VERY pleased.

Reply to
C. Olofsson

There is a bracket that supports the muffler of a M35A2 2 1/2 ton truck, (the duace and a half). The correct nomenclature is, bearing, muffler. Somewhere, someone writing Army maintance manuals has a warped sense of humor.

You know how people push up and down on the bumper of their car to check the shocks? Have you ever seen anyone do that to a (60 ton) M1 Main Battle Tank?

Reply to
Morgan Bullard