Timing Chain

I am getting ready to order a timing gear and chain set for my 1987 5.0 (stock internals.) The one I see advertised most often is the Ford racing full roller set. Lists for $69.95 in Mustangs Unlimited. Is this a good replacement for my stock set? I will also be buying the gasket set. Thanks, Claud

Reply to
Claud Spinks

Its a good piece, but if its just a stock engine its a bit overkill. If the motor is stock or close to it I'd go to Autozone and get a dyna gear roller for around $30.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

The question to keep in mind though is if he is going to be doing anything to the motor in the future. A little extra now will save himself some trouble down the road. This is from the *been there, done that* case files.

While it is all apart, now would be the time to completely clean everything off and make that baby pretty. Repaint some pieces, degrease everything else. While everything else is off, replacing the water pump would be an extremely excellent idea as well. They are relatively cheap, and it is already off...

Hope this helps.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I started this by having to replace the water pump:) Now I have new radiator, hoses, fan and fan clutch and thermostat. My idea with this car from the beginning has been to replace worn or broken things with better than new items. I am having a friend help me with the timing stuff. I have done everything else myself and am learning as I go. Sounds like I will spend the extra 40 bucks and go with the Ford racing set. Yes, I have been cleaning everything I can. This car saw several years of driving with leaking valve covers (the bolts were not even finger tight when I replaced the gaskets.) This oil/dirt is everywhere and a real PIA to clean. Except for religious 3000 mile oil changes, this car saw very little maintanence before I bought it. I bought it 2.5 years ago and have been going through it (the above items, cat back exhaust, new brakes from master cylinder to rotors/drums, new carpet, replaced the seats, heater core, tune-up, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, vacum hoses and some stuff I am forgetting.) This is the toy I didn't have 25 yrs. ago when I was in High School. Thanks Don.

Claud

2.3Sleeper wrote:
Reply to
Claud Spinks

A toy? Then you better go for the FRP set. There are many, many, accessories for that toy. Since those head bolts are loose anyway you can always..... :-)

Have fun!

Reply to
Mustang_66

Reply to
Claud Spinks

But, it has one beauty, it protects the parts and the paint on those parts.

Reply to
Brent P

No problem. I have been in the same exact spot.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

That is true, unless the parts happen to be made of rubber. ;-)

I've worked on my fair share of slimy pigs and underneath years of oil and road grime typically is a nice car in my experience... all the protection from the oil over the years...

JS

Reply to
JS