timing question

69 351W with edelbrock performer cam, heads.

my car has always been touchy when trying to get the timing right. last week she ran great then one day it just wouldnt start/idle. got it started but ran really rough and had to have foot on the gas for it to stay running. I did some quick timing trouble shooting and made sure i have no idea where its at now so its not going to run again untill i get the timing reset. the cam instructions say to start at

5BTDC. my question is, when setting at TDC on the compression stroke, should i stop turning the crank right when the piston hits the top or go a little bit further? just want to be as exact as i can.

thats all i need to know at this point. everytime ive done this it takes at least a day of trying different degrees BTDC to get it to run.

Reply to
Jack Napier

You don't just lose timing on a SBF. Something came loose, or something broke. The engine at leat idle anywhere from TDC to 15* or so BTDC. All you have to do is get the static timing somewhere in the vacinity and it should start and run. I would be looking in other areas before fixating on the timing. Pull the distributer and see what the driven gear looks like. Inspect the distibuter and makes sure it spins smoothly, and the advance mechanisms are working properly. Check the cap and rotor carefully, especially inside the towers. If all that looks OK, time to look in other areas: fuel pressure, carb gunk, compression, etc.

Reply to
.boB