Tire Selection

It's time for tires on my Cobra project. This car weighs in at

2200# or so. Engine should be makeing 500-550hp. Tremec TKO, 4.10 IRS. So I need a really sticky tire to try and plant some of that power to the pavement. The car will be mostly street driven, with some open track days and an occasional drag strip run. I occasionally get cought in the rain, so that is a slight consideration. Wear rate is not important. I am seriously considering Nitto 555R's. Also looking at KDW's or F1's. But they are considerablt more expensive, and I'm not sure they are worth it. What are you running or have run that you liked or didn't like?
Reply to
boB

,boB

I have the Nitto street tires (I believe 555R? - not the road racers) on my '97 Cobra. 255/45/17s on 17x9" rims.

I like the performance. This is probably the first real performance tire I've had, but I like them. They do pretty good in small amounts of ponded water, and I usually don't have any problems in the rain.

The only exception I've found is a few parking lots where the type of asphault throws off some oil to the surface in a light rain. I can't keep the thing pointed straight. That and some concrete onramps where the concrete's real smooth - I've lit 'em up at 55 MPH in 4th gear just trying to accelerate up the ramp. Other than those couple of things, I like the tires. They're predictable at their grip limits and tend to warn you just before they're ready to start giving up...

As far as wear, there's some feathering at the edges of my front tires from the hard turning I do on a daily basis, but they've worn great considering I drive the car hard. Maybe I should check the air in 'em more often too.

I don't know that they'll keep down the 500hp of a 2200lb car though... but good luck trying with any tire that isn't a drag radial (and those aren't much good in the twisties).

I'd guess the Nitto and the KDW are a pretty good compromise between street tire and race tire. If you weren't concerned about wet weather performance, I'd lean more towards a DOT-approved racing tire to try to keep that thing on the road.

Good luck... let us know how it turns out.

JS

Reply to
JS

My highest accident investigation days were always after an initial rain when, no matter what the surface, the oils and greases, etc, left by traffic for a period of time always floats off the surface and on top of any accumulated moisture. Type of tire made practically no difference. Parking lots, on/off ramps. streets, highways. It doesn't matter. You might as well be driving on ice. A simple summer shower could extend my paperwork by hours because driver's didn't know, or didn't pay attention to this situation.

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Reply to
GILL

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

I understand this... but, for instance, I travel to lunch from work, and only one parking lot gives me trouble. It is, like you say, a sheet of ice. The rest of the roads offer up no surprises. I think it has to do with the type of asphault used in this particular lot. My brother said that where he lived in South Carolina, this was a big problem on all of the streets because they used a particularly oily mix of asphault. Roads sure were nice on a dry day though.

It's amazing up here... the PA turnpike around the Pittsburgh area ponds

*very* badly in spots, and I see more accidents on one rainy day than I usually do on that stretch of road all winter. People just don't understand how much some water on the road can do to the handling of a car.

JS

Reply to
JS

boB,

My son's Superformance (525HP) is now using Dunlop GT Qualifiers for his 15" rims. They work much better than the Goodyears that were on.

If you're going the 17" route, Nitto 555s are more compliant than the BFG KDWs, tho' not as good in the rain.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

With concrete, it's generally too much silica. Acts like graphite lube.

Not that irt's any worse, but if you think the water pooling is bad... try the Mojave Desert! You're driving along and the wind has blown a very fine layer of sand across the road... suddenly you break traction and having no idea what's happening you hit the brakes..... We have stretches of highways throughout the southwest which due to wind and blowing sand result in the roads being lined with blown over deisel rigs, trailers, etc.

Pobably the "funniest" I ever saw was due to spiders. Each year Tarantulas migrate in the thousands. And as they cross the roads the pavement becomes like driving on ice, or on an oil pan. It can be a bit unnerving between the "slick" roadway and the sound... LOL

Then there are the deer >I understand this... but, for instance, I travel to lunch from work, and

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

I'm sticking with the 16X8s and while the weather is dry nearly all year, we do get our share of the wet stuff, and I do travel to places which are vey wet even without rain (coastal fog). And I got a good deal on the KDWS from Summit.... and money is always a part of the equation... Two I thought about were Toyo and Yokohama, but decided to make a choice between the Goodyears and the BFGs.... settling for the latter. Actually, Vintage Wheel Works, which produced my Vintage

40 wheels, recommended a tire; Toyo I th>boB,

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Anyone????? It's either going to be Nitto 555R's, or Yokahama AVS ES100.

Reply to
boB

These tires are in a different class. I've used the AVS ES 100's as replacements on '00 GT, they are a good performance tire for a good price. The 555R's are a DOT drag radial, they have a softer sidewall and are for straight line performance.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Their web site desn't give a whole lot of information (Nitto). But it is my understanding that the 555R is the same carcass as the 555, but with the softer tread compound and a more traction (and less all-weather) oriented tread pattern. Not true?????? The 555RII would be perfect, as it has a stiff road racing style side wall. But it doesn't come in enough sizes to help me. Yet.

How did you like the Yokahama's? Sticky enough on take off?

Reply to
boB

I thought they had better grip and better overall performance than the factory GoodYears. You should go to

and readthrough the reviews, lot's of good info there. Mike

Reply to
WraithCobra