tire size question?

You're funny, thanks for the laugh ! :D

Reply to
Chris

i have a 1988 5.0L and i just bought some 16x7 Pony's.

can u put 245 50 16 tires on, wll the front rub? what came on the factory pony's. if the front rub, should i maybe go 235 50 16 up front and 245 50 16 in the rear?

rja

Reply to
RjA

The stock tire size on the 16" pony rims on my '93 was 225/55x16. You *can* run a 245/50x16 on them, but you may experience some rubbing on the fronts when turning. I ran some Firestone Firehawks in that size a few years ago, and didn't have too much problem, but when I got new tires, I got the Sumitomos, and for some reason they rub more. Of course, there may be an alignment problem on the car, although all that was supposed to have been done when the shocks/struts went in last year.

So, to answer your question: 245/50x16 will fit, 225/55x16 are the 'correct' tire. I wouldn't recommend that you run the 235/50x16, since this will just muck up the overall wheel/tire diameter somewhat, and won't really give you any advantage that I can see. To understand more about tires in general, I recommend you check out Tire Rack

they have good information on that sort of thing, in addition to having good prices on tires.

Reply to
RayS

I ran the 245/50 16 Nittos - worked fine. Tires are specific to brand in their actual dimension - though it's close. The problem with the

225/55's is that there are only a few choices out there.

Andrew

RjA wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

Yeah, and don't forget 245s, and even 255s look way better! Sure, you may actually lose handling, but so what.... :) 245s for sure. 255s for the back!

Brad S

Reply to
Brad
*clearing her throat and putting on a serious face*

Size doesn't matter, it's performance that counts!

*covers her face and snikkers wickedly as she leaves the room*

Sorry boys.. I Had to!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top with 'bigguns' all the way around LOL
Reply to
SVTKate

I take that to mean: "It's not the size that matters, it's how you drive it." ?

Reply to
Greg B.

ROFLMAO! Nope.. that's a lie!

If it doesn't have what it takes, the best driver in the world isn't gonna make it a winner.

Kate

| > Size doesn't matter, it's performance that counts! | >

| > *covers her face and snikkers wickedly as she leaves the room* | >

| > Sorry boys.. I Had to! | >

| > Kate | > 98 Cobra Drop Top | > with 'bigguns' all the way around LOL | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Hmmm...

To make it an even better double meaning, and since a Mustang IS a horse you could go as far as to say:

"It's not the size that matters, it's how you RIDE it!"

Giddy-up!

;D

Greg Browne '96 Vee-Siques

  • Oceanic Consulting Corporation *
  • Current Work Term 1 of 6 *
  • Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science *
  • Memorial University of Newfoundland *
  • Academic Term 2 of 8 Completed *
  • snipped-for-privacy@engr.mun.ca *
Greg Browne