Tire Sizes and calculations

Just wondering if anyone has the 'formula' to work out tire sizes when changing to bigger or smaller wheels. Currently have a set of Cragar SS 15" with 225/60 x 15 'shoes'. Want to upgrade to 16" Cragars. Anyone have the math - or the answer. Also, is this size correct wrt original tire sizes?

Thanks again!

Reply to
elmo
15" 225x60x15 16" 215X60X16 17" 205X60X17

As for original tire size for your car, most likely an original E78X14, which would equate to a 205X70X14

Bill S.

elmo wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Why does the width get skinnier as the wheel gets taller? Why couldn't you stick with the same width, just a shorter aspect ratio? like 225x45 17"?

Scott Williams

Reply to
Scott Williams

This site will show tire size comparisions with overlays and speedometer differences.

Reply to
Skunkfeet

You would definitely need to switch to a lower aspect ratio. On a

235/60x14, your outside diameter would be 25.1 inches. To maintain that same OD, or close, using a 16" rim, you'd need to use a 235/50x16, which would give you a 25.25 inch OD. The same width tire in a 45 aspect ratio would be 24.3 inches OD, which would be too small. It's desirable to maintain the same OD in order to not affect your speedometer readings. The 0.15 inch difference in the 235/60x14 vs. the 235/50x16, would be negligible (slightly over 1/8 inch overall).
Reply to
RayS

OK, so I was sorta right, even though my math sucks.

Scott Williams '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

You are correct,my original posting was done far too early in the AM, and without the benefit of any coffee first...............As you go up in rim diameter, the side wall aspect must come down..................

Bill S.

Scott Williams wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Thanks for all your help, guys - looks like my Stangs gonna get some new booties for her sexy new rims!!

"Bill S." a écrit dans le message news: JSl4b.55099$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...

Reply to
elmo