Toploader 4 speed question

I'm entertaining the idea of installing a toploader in the '70 fastback project I purchased recently. The engine's going to be a mild 460. I'm looking for a big block toploader with the 1 3/8th input shaft. The problem is I want a wide ratio transmission and the big block transmissions are all close ratio. A web site mentioned an adapter for this conversion to the big input shaft but I have been unable to find it with google.

"The 1 3/8 inch input was only made for the 2.32 close ratio but today you can purchase modular style inputs that allow for ratios in wide or close configuration."Does anyone know what they're referring to? Also I'm looking for a rebuilt unit. Do you guys know of a reputable company that sells rebuilt toploaders ? TIA

Reply to
Mark

FYI: Some good information on Toploaders @

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C with a close ratio Toploader @

Grover C. McCoury III

Why would you want a wide ratio with a 460? You should make gobs of torque to make use of the close ratio. That's why they weren't offered with small blocks.

Later,

Reply to
Dennis Harrelson

Dan Williams Toploaders sells a multipiece input shaft. You can mix and match the input shaft and gear with that. I have also heard that the modular input should be avoided because it is not as strong as the one piece stockers. David Kee sells rebuilt toploaders. I just bought parts from him to redo the box in my Tiger. He was helpful and quick about shipping the parts out. For the price you will pay for a bigblock toploader, consider a Richmond 5 speed. They are still a one to one top gear but first is nice and low. You run a nice econo rear end like 3.00:1 and you get good cruising ability AND good launching. A friend is using this setup behind a healthy 427 in a Cobra kitcar.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

The reason for a wide ratio is so I can run a higher (3.00:1) rear gear and still get good acceleration with the lower first, second, and third gears.

Reply to
Mark