Toploader Conversion.

Hi Guys, I have just bought a Toploader transmission so that I can convert my 1966 F/back (later 302 engine) to manual. I have nearly all the parts to do the job, but would like some advice on which way to go in respect of clutch operation. Should I go for a cable conversion, or an external hydraulic or internal hydraulic (expanding thrust bearing) type. Any advice/thoughts/observations would be much appreciated as I will need to get the parts shipped here to the UK. Thanks. Paul

Reply to
Paul T

If you use the stock ford bellhousing and clutch arm it's a push operation, you can't use a cable because that's for a pull operation. Internal hydraulic works well, and is light weight. But to service it you have to remove the transmission. If it leaks it will ruin your clutch and leave you stranded. The external hydraulic is a little bulkier and often requires some custom mount fabrication. But it's a little cheaper. I would use the external hydraulic clutch.

Of course, if I was doing the swap, I would use a T5 or Tremec and Ford bellhousing with a cable clutch.

Reply to
.boB

Paul,

For my first 351 Cleveland in a fox body with a top loader 4 speed, I modified the stock cast iron "clutch linkage" style bell housing to use the stock fox style cable assembly. It worked great. I still own that car and will be moving to where it already is next month, I could take some pictures (it's all installed in the running car) and get them to you if you arn't planning to finish this project before Thanksgiving :-)

Reply to
351CJ

If I were you I would just buy all the stock mechanical linkage and use that. I have owned my 66 4 speed car since 1978. Except for the plastic bushings on the pivots, the linkage has never failed. The only thing that might make this plan tricky is the age of your 302. At some point in the early 80's, Ford removed the boss on the side of the block that provided the pivot for the equalizer shaft. I think Mustangs Plus sells a bolt on replacement but I'm not positive. If you go hydraulic, the bottom end is simple, just use the external mounts and slave cylinder that all the Cobra kitcars use. You are on your own for mounting a master cylinder and connecting it to the pedal.

This website sell a cable clutch kit that allows you to install a T5 in an early Mustang.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

The reason for my bell housing conversion was that the Cleveland's large fly wheel and clutch would not fit in the puny Fox 5 liter bell housing, and the only available pedal assemblies in the late 80 for a Fox body were the cable clutch setup, same for firewall, and frame parts.

Reply to
351CJ