torque converter control / lock-out for 200X Stang?

Ok, so the auto tranny in the late model Stangs is 4-speed... which must mean (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the "1" position on the shifter holds the tranny in 1st, the "2" position on the tranny holds the tranny in

2nd, then if you put the shifter into "D" but turn the "overdrive" switch to "off", this will hold you in 3rd, and if you then turn the overdrive switch back on, the car will go into 4th. Is this correct? If so, then the extra annoying "upshift" that I am experiencing must be the torque converter locking up. The darned thing, in my opinion, locks up too early for around the town driving, causing the car to "lug". B&M makes torque converter switches so that you can manually control the lock-up function, but they do not list such a kit for the 200X Stang. Does anyone at all make any type of a kit to manually control the torque converter lock-up, or a kit that would allow you to "recalibrate" the point at which the converter locks up? If the converter would lock up a bit "later", it would make the driving experience way better. Seems that the converter will lock up even when you keep the overdrive switch "off".... I hear the tranny shift to third, and then almost immediately after that, it feels like the car "shifts" again and the rpm comes way down, but this must be the converter locking... then the car is super sluggish unless you press the accelerator down hard which I don't want to have to do in order to just get the car to feel "peppy". There's never any real torque under your foot because the car is always cruising at too low an rpm. Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I have searched all around and have not yet found any info. Thanks to everyone for all the help so far. - dm
Reply to
GT-Vert-03

dm,

My '96 auto does this, too. I think it's just an automatic thing, though I could be wrong. These cars need a few upgrades in order to perform in a 5sp kind of way. Sometimes I will shift into 2nd in town just in case I need to be swift. :-)

Reply to
C. Olofsson