tranny fluid question: tremec tranny (mach 1) and others

when should i first change my transmission fluid ('04 mach 1)? is there a break-in period as there is for engine oil?

i hold the theory that in terms of vehicle maintenance, i'd rather err on the side of caution and assume heavy duty cycles/high performance usage for maintenace items, if that makes any sense.

so if i assume that drag racers probably change their trans fluid after every race, and that people who don't care about their cars probably _never_ change it... where should i fall in my regular change intervals?

assume that this is a weekend driver only -- no daily driving of this for me. i'll probably go to the drag strip a few times a year to (a) get to know my car a bit better under controlled conditions. (b) better understand what my mods do for performance. (c) have fun with a few other mustang (and one other camaro ss) owners and have fun. when i drive on the weekends, i'm not the kind of guy to burn out and shit like that. but i'll step into her quite a bit from time to time! any thoughts appreciated.

also...

i've read on some of these web forums where people have trouble going from first to second with this tranny. and in at least one forum, i think tremec's official position was to reduce the amount of trans fluid (i forget from and to how much), and to switch to a synthetic (i think -- can't find the reference currently). should i do this if i don't have 1st --> 2nd problems?

is it likely i can change my own trans fluid? i have jackstands, and change my own oil, and am slightly beyond the rookie stage of being a shade tree mechanic, i would estimate.

also, conventional wisdom among the `enlightened' seems to be skip Chilton's and Haynes and go for the official factory repair manual -- is that the offical name for what i want? is my local Ford dealer likely to give me dumb looks if i ask them to order one for me? i would guess that these puppies sell for well over $100. if i budget ~$150, is it likely i could get one?

thanks, all (can finally have a new .sig!)

--john

Reply to
bitbucket

I'm not aware of any transmission break-in period. I'd check the owners manual & see. As for a repair manual... get a Helms manual for your car. It's in the neighborhood of $100~$130. And yes, I'm sure you can change your own tranny fluid. I just did it recently. How many miles are on the car right now? Before you change your transmission fluid, be sure you have some sort of hand pump so you can pump the fluid into the tranny. And yes.. switch to a synthetic... synthetic is always better, IMO.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 06:05:30 GMT, wrote: | I'm not aware of any transmission break-in period. I'd check the owners | manual & see. As for a repair manual... get a Helms manual for your car. | It's in the neighborhood of $100~$130. And yes, I'm sure you can change your | own tranny fluid. I just did it recently. How many miles are on the car | right now? Before you change your transmission fluid, be sure you have some

right now there are only 800 miles. i just figure i want to get a handle pretty early on of what i should be doing.

thanks for tip on the hand pump.

Reply to
bitbucket

np. It really is easy to change the transmission fluid. Is easier if you have ramps. Be sure the car is as level as can be though.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Charlene gets her transmission fluid changed every 20,000 miles, and she gets Mobil One Mercon V Synthetic. It's probably overkill. I've heard some tranny mechanics insist that it should be changed every 10,000. The owner's manual is fuzzy on this point altogether.

My recommendation: 20,000 mile/3 year intervals.

Also, since the car is new, you *may* wish to change over to synthetic fluid now. Charlene got hers at 800 miles, and she still shifts like brand-new. Very nice stuff.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1997 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams