tranny problem...

i own a '91 mustang gt that was drag raced prior to my purchasing it. this started within the last week, everytime i try to put my vehicle into gear it's extremely hard to do so, i sometimes have to force it. i dont know if its the tranny or the clutch. any suggestions?

Reply to
oneadvent

tranny. If you can't get used to it, have it rebuilt. One of the forks could have been bent. They powershift during racing, jam the gears with not much clutch in.

If you get it in gear you can tell if the clutch is OK or not, press clutch in a little and see where it disengages, should have to press in a lot, if only a little, clutch could be warn. Could do clutch and tranny same time.

87 5.0 93 5.0 with 8# keene bell
Reply to
Dr. Moria

Sounds like a dragging clutch to me. Is the clutch pedal going all the way to the floor or is there a floor mat under it? You can shut down the engine, put it in gear and restart the engine. If it tries to pull the car a little it's the clutch.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If he's got the clutch pedal depressed, that would indicate the clutch needs to be adjusted at minimum.

Of course without the clutch pedal depressed it won't start if it has the interlock switch.... and prior to that, it will move the car normally. If I put my maverick in gear and start it without depressing the clutch pedal the starter will not only move the car, but start the engine.

Reply to
Brent P

It does not try to pull when I do that. It does not have a mat under it, and I tried putting it in third gear with the RPMs at 1500-2000 and popped the clutch. It died immediately. I am just hoping it is nothing too serious. Someone told me that it may be low on transmission fluid. I will take it in for the adjustment and refill on Monday. I will post results. Any other ideas?

Reply to
oneadvent

ok...up to my word here is the result.

The clutch cable was worn down to two or three strands. They said most likely from popping the clutch too much. Anyway they changed that out and drained and refilled the fluid. They told me it looked like mud.

Now the results. The clutch is VERY hard to push, but it shifts much easier. It goes into the gears with out grinding, except in 5th, where there is no change.

I can only assume the clutch cable being worn down resulted in the gear grinds.

Reply to
oneadvent