Trans Fluid

99 Mustang v6 vert automatic. Dipstick says Mercon V. I can't find Mercon V anywhere.. Will Mercon/ Dexron 3 work?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

How hard have you looked? I'm not trying to be funny, but most auto parts store should have it and if they don't go to your Ford dealerships parts counter. While some refiners claim to have an oil that can be used for "every Mercon ever made" requirements, (particularly one that starts with the letter "A") don't be tempted and use what the factory calls for. Your car will thank you.

Reply to
Kruse

Looked harder and found Valvoline Mercon V. 15 quarts at 3.79 a quart was steep, but I got it.

Will be changing the trans fluid, fliter, and converter fluid tomorrow. Tips?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

How do you plan to get all of the fluid out of the tranny? You can't just "drain" all of it out. There is quite a bit of it inside the tranny that won't drain out. Basically, you are stuck with either having the transmission flushed or changing the filter and a few quarts of the fluid that comes out yourself.

Reply to
JB

It all comes out except for what's in the torque converter. Doing just a flush is bad news since you don't get the filter changed. You can also change the fluid/filter, refill with new fluid, drive it around a bit then...

Disconnect the transmission cooler return line and let the transmission's own pump empty 5-6 quarts of fluid.

Then reconnect the line and refill to the appropriate level.

This doesn't get a 100% change of fluid either, but it's reasonably close.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

I'm going to change the fluid in the torque converter too. Will this suffice?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Yup.

Reply to
Ritz

Draining a torque converter is no longer an option. Most vehicles don't have the plug. Here is what I do to about every automatic that I've owned: When you take the pan off to install a new filter, clean the pan up real good and install a drain plug. They are available for under $10 from any parts store. Install everything back together and start the car and bring it back up to the fill mark. Drive it for awhile to mix the fluid and then drop the plug. After refilling, you've changed about

3/4 of the oil which is about what you'd get if you go to a dealer and get a tranny flush. (They charge over $100. You've saved some money) Every 10K miles or so you can drain some out and refill with new oil. Of course, you can pull a line and let the engine run to do the same thing, but this is not as messy. Be thankful your car has a dipstick. A lot of new cars don't have one......
Reply to
Kruse

It IS getting more and more impossible to drain the torque converters, but the torque converter on the vintage of AODE that is on 94-04 Mustangs is equipped with a drain plug. Took 12 quarts of Mercon V. Also had the rear end's gear oil changed out. The magnet in the trans didn't have much on it. There were some silver in the diff, but not bad.

The filter's box said "Change every 10,000 miles". This seems a little excessive to me, or am I out of line?

Also changed the serpentine with a new Goodyear Gatorback, kept the spare in the trunk. Anyknow know anything about Gatorback belts?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I have an '88 Cougar with the drain plug on the torque converter. I didn't realize they kept the drain plug for that long. It's actually a nice feeling to get that much oil in your tranny when doing a tranny change. I think 20K miles is appropriate when you can get that much oil out. The box says that to sell you another filter sooner. I actually got 200K miles out of my AOD before needing rebuilt and the failure was a $15 internal part instead of the clutches or bands. The Goodyear Gatorbacks are a pretty good belt. While not being sold locally, I have used them and the "cross-cut" pattern is advertised as being quieter than the factory belts.

Reply to
Kruse

Cool. How often did you change the fluid before your trans went at 200k? Hoping mine makes it to 200k!

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Mobil-1 ATF is mercon V I believe. Great stuff too. almsot any auto store has it !

Reply to
RT