TransAm Club

I was cruising last Sunday in this new town I have been in for about a month now -Exton, PA. All of a sudden I saw about 15 TransAms/Firebirds race down the road at very high speeds. Since my top was down it almost deafened me for a minute at the same time I was amazed by the kind of sound those cars made. What is so different about a TransAm that makes it sound so good ?

- Shardool

Reply to
Shardool Karnik

"Shardool Karnik" wrote

Holes drilled in the muffler's to make the V6's sound like V8's. Holes drilled in the muffler's of the V8's to make'm sound like loud POS's ;)

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Cubic inches. Start saving up for a 408.

Reply to
CobraJet

There is SOMETHING about a Chebby engine that sounds like no other. It stills my heart and makes me flutter. I cannot explain other than when I was growing up my big brother ran stock cars and all of my first hot rods were Chevys... *sigh* a cam, some pipes, intake a carb and ohhh jeeze.. I gotta go take a shower.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Personaly I don't like the sound of the cambirds and their fake duals.

As Cobra Jet pointed out put a 351w based engine in and the extra cubes will make your car sound really good.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Dunno. The GM's don't sound all that good to me. They are OK at idle but with any kind of exhaust they just get loud and character-less. To me, Ford has always dominated in getting a motor to perform *and* sound nice.

Reply to
Dan

phh. My 4.6 sounds better than any Chevy and just as good as any BB Ford...mostly :).

Reply to
Dan

I'll buy sounding better than a Chevy , but not a Big Block no way no how! :)

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Chevys always sounded to me like those boats they had on the river rides at Disneyland.

Reply to
CobraJet

You're supposed to be smoking tires, not that funny green stuff.

Reply to
CobraJet

How you figure? LS1's are 346 or 347 CI.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

You're not supposed to be that far behind them. :)

Al On with the flame deflector and rusty camshaft shield.

Reply to
Big Al

Why woudn't you want to out-cube them?

Reply to
CobraJet

Ooh, big talk from a Beretta-owning spaghetti-slurper.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Trans Ams look soo sexy, IMO. I still think Ford dominates in the sound area, but wow Trans Ams are so f*cking nice. Don't get me wrong.. I love Elizabeth (my GT's name), but still... can't deny that Cambirds are awesome.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yes, way. The problem is that there's a displacement beyond which even the Ford engineers can't prevent ugliness. Again, the BB's are nice at idle, but most start to slip away from ideal as they ramp up. Especially when the heads get hogged out or a real open exhaust is put on.

Don't get me wrong, you can make any motor sound crappy. It's a shame Magnablows are so cheap 'cause there's a sure way to ruin the sound out of a nicely setup motor: loudness. Unless you are staging at a tree or warming up the tires on a grid, loudness is a waste. It's just that it ruins GMs instantly and BB's faster :).

Reply to
Dan

My beautiful sounding tiny motor does the first at will. Never done the second. Got high off of unburnt fuel additives leaving an exhaust manifold once or twice, but never in an unnatural way ;).

Reply to
Dan

Right up until 1999, I agree. Then they made them look comical to me: half a dozen nostrils and fenders that look like they could hide a family of four...each. Kind of like a caricature of a body builder in automotive form. The '69.5 will always be the only T/A for me. Followed by the '70-'72, especially the Formula's.

Reply to
Dan

You need watch some SE or SS cars for a bit.

Reply to
CobraJet

Because it's completely unnecessary, unless you WANT to rebuild your engine for no real reason.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]