TRIP ODOMETER

Odometer just stop turning yesterday. Is there a way that this can be reached without setting off the airbag? Any information regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

Ninja,

94 Red Covt. 5.0 a little goodies added
Reply to
Jeffery Privott

at 15 Nov 2004, Jeffery Privott [ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

You need to take out the instrument cluster. See the site in my .sig and check the How-To for installing a gauge bezel.

That's the good news, now for the bad.

I had this happen to my 95 about a year ago. Neither the odo nor the trip odo were working. Had to replace my gauge cluster as to prevent 'odo fraud' the thing is sealed so no info is available on how to open the lil odo box, troubleshoot and fix the problem.

If this is the case for you as wel, check eBay for a 94/95 GT cluster, you can find them for like #25 sometimes and if you are lucky, mileage is near what yours is. If you order a replacement from Ford, it'll be in the neighbourhood of $300 just for the part. :-(

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for the info Paul.

Reply to
Jeffery Privott

at 16 Nov 2004, Jeffery Privott [ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net] wrote in news:WeadnUf2FP snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

You're welcome. So did you check to see if both your odo and trip ode stopped working but the speedo is working fine? If so, most likely it's the problem I described. If your speedo is not working either, it's most likely the transmitter/sensor on the tranny.

Reply to
Paul

The best way to avoid setting off the airbag is to make SURE you are not driving down the road while you take the dash apart.

Most people try to work on the instrument cluster while hurtling down the interstate, and too many times, they will drop a screwdriver or something, and wind up plowing into a pole, or another car **** BAM **** airbags go off!

Seriously though, the airbags aren't NEARLY as easy to set off as some would have you believe. In removing the inst cluster you don't get anywhere near the bag components anyway.

JUST DO IT !!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Thank's for the information. I will not be able to get to the problem until this weekend. Uncle Sam give me no time doing the week.

Reply to
Jeffery Privott

I had a problem with my trip odometer sticking every so often. I put a little white lithium grease on the gears, and it has been fine ever since. You will have to take the instrument cluster out of the dash to do this, but it not hard, and may just fix the problem for you. You don't have to break any factory seals to do this, either.

Reply to
Christine Courty

And how does that "ford" site have anything to do with fords?

Reply to
Chuck

at 21 Nov 2004, Chuck [ snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sorry, I had a server crash last week while I was out of town which messed up a config setting.

will take you to the right site now. It's basically a redirect to the sote on RR as to avoid a long URL... :-)

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for all the information group. I will finally have the time to get in there and find out what the problem is thanks to the all of the advise provided.

Reply to
Jeffery Privott