trouble starting when sitting for a while

when I try to start my '98 Mustang, it takes way too long, it cranks like it normally would, but continues to do so for about 5-8 seconds. It only does this when it sits for a while (prolly more than about an hour or so) once I get started, I can shut if off and it will start perfectly normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . . .

Reply to
systemnate

So you are saying that if it sits 2 days... it has to crank a long time?

When was the last time you went for a tune-up? Spark plugs changed?... start there.

"systemnate" wrote:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Sounds like your fuel pressure is bleeding off somewhere.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Uh.. no.

To find if that is the problem, simply cycle the fuel pump a couple times before cranking, by switching ign on and off.

the problem MAY be leaking injector or Fuel press regulator... but not likely if it cranks long time after a couple days.

The OP (orig poster) needs to answer a few more questions such as whether it does this after sitting LONG term and if there are ANY other changes in how it drives.

This should have been raised on "alt.autos.ford" as it's an engine problem... I'm cross-posting this reply there. Though Jim Warman reads both

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I based my opinion on the information given. You based yours on ...something else. But that's ok, this is usenet.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

It has trouble when it sits just for a few hours, not days. Like if I wake up in the morning I will have trouble starting and if I drive to the store turn it off get out and come back it will start fine. When driving there is nothing unusual about the cars performance or anything unusual.

Reply to
systemnate

then try cycling the fuel pump a few times, before cranking. if it starts quickly, then it's a pressure leakdown problem.

If not, next morning, try flooring the accel as you crank. If it starts quicker then, it's delivering too much fuel. ELSE pump the accel a couple times as you crank, starts quicker then... delivering too little.

As I said before, the FIRST thing to do is make sure the plugs are good and fuel and air filter, as well.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

And go by Autozone (or wherever) and have the codes read out.

Insist on getting the codes, not the definitions!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

systemnate, While a tune-up may be in order, I'd start with the fuel filter and the in-tank fuel pump isn't excluded...fuel pressure is

35-45 PSI. Has it happened with more than one tank of gas from different stations?

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx