Turn signal switch problems in '97 Cobra...

Anyone know where to get ahold of a turn signal switch (multi-funciton switch) for a '97 Cobra? I believe the switch is the same as the GT's switch would be. Mine's dying a slow and painful death (RH turn signal functions about 30% of the time) and I'd like to pull it before I have no headlights or something like that.

Is there an updated switch, as this is a known problem, or am I stuck with a stock replacement?

Thanks,

JS

Reply to
JS

Mine used to do that... then the problem went away. LOL...

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

They aren't that expensive new! I replaced mine last year.. It was $60

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

You either quite using your signals altogether or started using hand signals.

LOL

| > Is there an updated switch, as this is a known problem, or am I stuck with | a | > stock replacement? | >

| > Thanks, | >

| > JS | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

No I'm dead serious lol

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

K... I'll check 'round the Ford dealer. Did they ever update it? This isn't something I'd typically consider a wear item...

JS

Reply to
JS

I don't know. I know mine started acting weird around 50k miles. Most of the time it was ok, and every now and then it would just act like a bulb was fried on the left side. Blink really fast .... So I had it swapped then I did the repair on the PATS ponytail in the column.

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Mine doesn't blink at all on the interior light... it just clicks real fast with no outside or inside signal... which is why I'm guessing it's a bad switch. That and all of the other people who've had problems with their multifunction switch.

Hmm.. there's a repair on the PATS ponytail? What's that involve?

I had the ignition swapped after the car was stolen... think they might have fixed whatever ails it then or is this something I should be checking?

BTW, my car's got about 56k on the clock right now... so I'm right about there.

JS

Reply to
JS

The same thing happened on my '97 convertible. The multifunction switch's internal contacts need cleaning.

Take off the trim around the column...then take off the switch. There may be a little fussing to get it out, but it's not a problem. Hey, I tend to to break every plastic thing I take off a car, but nothing broke here.

Once you get the switch out, take it to a table and start removing screws. Take note of where each screw came from (if they happen to be different). MOST importantly, when the pieces are actually coming apart, go slow and check for any loose items...detent balls, springs, etc.

Once it's apart, clean the contacts (I used fine steel wool) and coat them with di-electric grease.

It's been a couple years since I fixed mine, but it took less than an hour and the signals are still working fine....the wipers work too.

H>Mine doesn't blink at all on the interior light... it just clicks real fast

Reply to
Dinsdale

Helluva lot cheaper than replacing it, if it works

Kate

| >Hmm.. there's a repair on the PATS ponytail? What's that involve? | >

| >I had the ignition swapped after the car was stolen... think they might have | >fixed whatever ails it then or is this something I should be checking? | >

| >BTW, my car's got about 56k on the clock right now... so I'm right about | >there. | >

| >JS | >

| >> Kate | >>

Reply to
SVTKate