Two Questions about a 72 Mach 1

Hi Group,

I'm restoring a 72 Mach 1 which has a urethane front bumper. I'm having a very difficult time trying to get the big phillips screws out of the bottom of the bumper so the I can remove it. I've tried PB Blaster, but no luck so far. I can't use heat because of the urethane. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, does anyone know if the inside of the front fenders (and the trunk) are painted the same as the car's exterior color?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
nospam

Go down to your nearest auto parts store and buy an "impact wrench" This is a cylinder shaped tool. You place a phillips bit in one end and smack the other end with a hammer. The blow makes the bit rotate at the same moment the hit is forcing the bit into the screw.

Reply to
Tiger Pilot

If that doesn't work, you could use a sharp drill bit the size of the screw shaft, not the head, and very carefully drill it out. I would drill the screw heads off, remove the urethane bumper cover then finish removing the screws.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Those particular screw are always a real pain the @%#. either use a cutoff wheel, drill out the shaft, or try a hammer driven impact. The inside of the fenders were body color with spray on sound deadener in spots, most of the trunks were also body color, however in your year 1972 a limited number of Grandes and Machs either had black or gray spatter similar to GM, but I would go with body color.

Reply to
walt peifer