Type of engine oil to feed a 5.0L?

Hi All,

Just a quick question. I have a 1985 Mustang GT. Just wondering what would be the best kind/grade of oil to put into this car. I appreciate any advice as I am new to this type of car.

Thanks

Reply to
Steph

A lot of that depends on how you drive it, and where. If you live in th UP, 5W-30 would probably be your best choice. If you live in Phoenix, 15W-50 might be better. High mileage engines that are fairly loose need a little heavier oil. Basicly, you want the lowest weight oil that will maintain pressure. Synthetics deliver better performance, and better heat dissapation. So if that's important to you, use them. But they are expensive. So if you burn or leak a lot of oil, don't bother. I'm not really convinced that the brand of oil really matters for the average car. As long as it meets SAI standards, you're good to go. For the average car, especially a high mileage one, use whatever's cheapest of the name brands. I do try to avoid the cheapo/store brands, as they can be an unknown product.

Reply to
.boB

Just stay away from Pennzoil and Quaker State or you will be posting "What's all this crap in my valve cover" next. If you have any minor leaks now you may want to shy away from Valvoline. It seems to be harder on the seals and could make a minor drip a larger leak. On the other hand a few mechanics I know claim that Max Life from Valvoine is the $hit. I can't say for sure on that myself, but I am running it in my new motor for my 95 GT.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

I agree 100%.

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert 64 Falcon HT Hot Rod Project

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu