Undercarriage Rust

Hey all,

I have a '92 Lx that has rust on the undercarriage. If I had to categorize the rust, I would say that it is just surface rust, but most of the undercarriage has it.

Thing is, I'd like to put a bit of money in this car, new paint, maybe new engine (rebuild for sure), tranny work, suspension, etc.

My concern is that all this work could be for naught. I assume there is really not anything that can be done about rust on the undercarriage (without spending big dollars, anyways). I don't really care that it is rusted, but am worried about how much longer I have until the rust makes things unsafe.

I'd guess I've got a number of years, but I'm not sure.

I live in Calgary, Alberta and the car may see one more winter.

Any thoughts/comments?

Darren.

Reply to
Pheare

Light sanding, POR15 paint, top coat with the paint of your choosing.

I've also had good lock painting undercarriage parts with engine paint. It holds up better than regular paint and a not as well as POR15 but for light surface rust it does the job.

Reply to
Brent P

Will give that some thought.

Thanks.