Underdrive Pulley Question

I have a 95 (regular)mustang. If I upgrade to a 160 Amp alternator and install an underdrive Crankshaft pulley, will I still be able to use the same belt? And what are some side effects of doing this? Thanks in Advance

-TIMMY

Reply to
Timmy Persaud

IMO the very few HP gained from underdrive pulleys is not worth the cooling and charging problems on a street car. There are a lot better ways to make much more power without degrading cooling or charging performance. It's a different story on a 1/4 mile race car where these problems are of no consequence and every last HP is desireable.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Now I've never had a cooling or charging problem with my underdrive pulleys (change all three, crank, alternator and water pump). Question, was this a problem primarily on pre '94 mustangs??

Reply to
Richard

I wonder if the problems that occur are the result of underdrive pulleys being misapplied. When I purchased mine IIRC there were two choices. One for street applications and one for track use. I'd bet that the problems, cooling and charging issues are related to the later being used on a car that is a daily driver.

Reply to
Richard