Used intake and heads... Good price/performance? Should I do it?

Today I went to Pep Boys to get the parts I need to put a fresh set of heads on my '68 302. The guy at the parts counter said he has a stock aluminum intake from an '80s Mustang GT ('84 IIRC) and a Holley carb he would sell me for $150. Claims they are in good condition and ready to be bolted on. Is this a good price assuming the intake and carb are in good condition, should I choose to look at them?

They would be going on a '68 Galaxie 500 with a stock 302 and 2.80:1 rear end (sorry for the OT car, wanted to know about the intake). The car responded very well to an upgrade from the original 1.08v Autolite 2100 to a

1.23v Autolite 2100 I had laying around (could actually chirp the tires with the new carb), so I think it should benefit from a better flowing intake. Do you think I would feel a difference with that intake and carb?

I also think I have a leak from my timing chain cover, so if I have to take that off to replace the gasket I was thinking a new cam would be a good thing to do while I've got it all apart. I want don't want anything with tons of overlap, as I'd like torque down low to get this boat moving. With this factored in is the intake and carb setup a good choice?

The way I figure it $150 is a good price for a Holley carb and aluminum intake, as I typically see new Holley carbs for $200-$300. So even if I have to go through the carb it should be a good price. Less weight is always a good thing and better flow should help perk up the engine a bit. Before I do this I just want to make sure I'm not throwing money away on junk, so go ahead and blast me with whatever input and comments you guys have. Thanks.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle