V8 Conversion

I have heard that to change a 65 coupe 6 cylinder to a V8 that the 89 is a good donor car. Does anyone know how easily these parts bolt in? Is the rear end the same width?

Anybody have an opinion on the best manufacturer to by carpet and upholstery.

thanks,

Wendell

Reply to
wam

Well the motor will fit pretty easy but the rear axle on an '89 is coil sprung so unless you want to do some fab'ing and welding I'd be looking for a proper '65/'66 8" rear axle or get a 9" that will fit the leaf springs. Speaking of which you'll need to upgrade your springs and brakes and swaybar to V8 specs. This will change your wheels to 5 bolt so you need new wheels and the list goes on... fuel pump eccentric needs to be added to the motor and proper timing chain cover if you want to use a mech fuel pump. Don't even get me started on an EFI swap... StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

The 89 is an excellent donor, but you have two issues to consider. The first is that your car is a factory 6, and there are changes that need to be made to upgrade your suspension and brakes for an 8. The second issue is the actual conversion to a FI 5.0. The Vintage Mustang Forum is the best place for this info, and you can search past posts:

TMI is supposed to be the best upholstery manufacturer.

John

66 2+2
Reply to
John Del

As my future son-in-law and I are converting a '65 coupe to 351/T5, there are issues to be considered...

Any 302 will physically bolt in no problem (we yanked a dead '70 302/3sp.) Then things go downhill (expensive) from there. Cooling, suspension, brakes, throttle linkage and electronics are items to be considered. What else do you plan to change along with the engine swap? Likely the 8" will survive any street HP level. (We're counting on it.)

This coupe wasn't original to begin with so altering it wasn't a concern. You may want to think twice if your's is all original.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

What was the original power plant? Are the expenses you encountered due to things like increased engine weight (ie V8 over original 6)? Change from carb to FI?

I have considered upping the 289 to a 347 or 351 sometime in the furture (I want to stay away from electronics 'cause I think I might want to hide out and live in an Amish community and "modern" stuff ain't allowed).

Lot of pe>As my future son-in-law and I are converting a '65 coupe to 351/T5, there are

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Hi V'ger, The engine we pulled was the '70 302. (V8 to V8 conversion.) Because nothing on the old engine that could've been used was worth re-using we bought all new parts and this ran quite easily to $3K and it's still carb'd. Other expenses have to do with the T5 conversion. On the 351 car, we're changing suspension and brakes (SSB) because one of the duties will be SOLO2 competition.

The extra expenses I spoke of to the original poster are all of the V8 parts that can't be scrounged from six pack. An engine can be just plugged in, but doesn't make it right.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

Mayyyyyybeeeeee I'll just keep the 289 and throw a paxton on it....

Actually, while the 289 is a good motor for me, it is stock except the hi rise and the Edlebrock carb which replaced the Ford/Holly setup (original A Code engine). But it might need a little tweak here and there. Since, as far as I know, it has never been rebuilt, it may not be heardened for unleaded fuel.

Local estimate for a rebuild, and balance is around $2K, so I'm holding off making long term plans ; ) But I would like to get my order in for a Factory Five MkII Roadster one of these days. Meanwhile, I'm grazing among the 1965 Ford pickups ; )

I'll just be happy when the restorati>Hi V'ger, The engine we pulled was the '70 302. (V8 to V8 conversion.)

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Hi V'ger,

Before you put a Paxton (neat idea) on it try to put a set of heads (Y303s are very good S/C heads) and cam on to take advantage of the *possibly* mis-matched high rise intake. (Take no offense...)

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

Hmmmm. So where did I get mismatched heads? and what would the Y303s do as opposed to stock? The cam I understand where it can (and likely would) be an improvement.

And I was kidd>Hi V'ger,

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

The mismatch, if any will be between the high rise intake and the stock head's intake ports...usually the higher performance manifolds have larger diameter runners than stock sylinder head's intake ports.

The Y303 heads are a high swirl design delivering better economy and performance than stock. If I hadn't 'donated' mine to an '87 project coupe my son had, I'd still have them on my '89 351.

Reply to
B2723m