vacumm difficulties in my '93 mustang GLX

I have a loud hissing coming from the brake pedal area. When I apply the brake fairly hard it stops.

Secondly, the windshield wipers have stopped functioning. For a while the intermittant adjuster seemed to be going out...

Could these two problems be related?

How do you fix or inspect the vacuum lines on the windshield wipers: I assume it's vacuum.

Thanks.

voice from the past

Reply to
voice from the past

voice from the past opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Voice from the past, I guess!

When did they STOP building vacuum wipers? Early 60's to my recollection... I havent seen or heard of them since 50's

Test start car, run a few seconds, turn off... does brake pedal press hard after just one pump? Booster seal leak.

Does your cruise control work? There's a vacuum dump valve to the servo on the brake pedal

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Sounds like some kind of vacuum leak from the brake booster. You definitely want to get that checked out by a mechanic, since it could become a major safety issue.

No.

Nope, it's electric, powered by the motor bolted to the firewall inside the engine compartment right in front of the steering wheel.

My guess? One of two things:

1) Your wiper switch died. Remove the plastic from around the steering wheel column and replace the wiper switch.

2) The intermittent wiper control box died. Find the small plastic box attached to the steering column under the dash that's connected to the wiper switch. Unplug and replace.

In either case, a simple Hayne's or Clymers shop manual would do you a world of good.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Like Backyard Mechanic I had to think how long it'd been since I'd seen a vacuum operated wiper system!

Anyway, the vacuum log adjacent to the wiper motor is a good place to start. If the vacuum hose to the brake booster rubbed on the wires of the wiper motor, there is a slight possibility they're related.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

the windshield wipers are/or should be electric not vacuum operated... the loud vacuum leak you hear on the brakes is probably the vacuum inside the power brakes that the diaphram is leaking ... take the master cyl. off and then the power vacuum for the brake and take it to a rebuild shop in your area to be rebuilt...

Reply to
dbird

Reply to
cprice