Valve Clatter, Intake Noise

Hello newsgroup,

I have a 91 5.0 LX, Auto Trans, 105k miles, all stock except for a Densocharger CAI. I have two questions concerning my car.

When accelerating, I hear what I think is valve clatter. It just recently started (or I'm noticing it for the first time.) Aren't the valves in this motor self adjusting? Is there anything I can do from the maintenance side to take care of this? Any info/suggestions are appreciated.

Secondly, when accelerating I hear a intake noise that sounds like air being sucked into the engine from the passengers side of the car, kind of like a air leak in reverse. This is my second 5.0, and I don't remember my other car sounding like this. Any idea what causes this? I checked the exhaust manifold, air intake plumbing, etc., for cracks, holes, etc. couldn't find anything. Any info/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks...

Sariwa

Reply to
sariwa1

Probably not valve train but rather "pinging". Try a higher octane gas for a little while and see if it goes away. You eventually need be sure you've set the ignition timing to factory specs.

On carburated cars I would spray a little carb cleaner around to find a vacuum leak. The carb cleaner gets sucked in and the motor runs a little faster. Don't know if this works or should be tried on fuel injection (injector cleaner?).

-= Francis Yarra =- fyarraATjunoDOTcom

- My drywall website
- My C64 website
- My personal website

Reply to
Nospam9212

The sucking noise you hear is normal intake sound from the CAI. With the intake in the fender, the noise gets transmitted into the car. On my car, I installed a piece of sound insulation in the fender between the intake and the passenger compartment. Quiet as can be.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall