Vechicle Speed Senser

What does the vechicle speed senser do? I have a 66 mustang with a 5.0 and t-5 tranny. Do I need to use the vss?

Thanks Evan

Reply to
Evan

at 11 Sep 2003, Evan [ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

On my 95 it feeds data to the speedo/odo and tach so they can display the correct speed, mileage and RPM values. If it's the same on a 66, I believe you'll need the VSS to see eg. how fast you are going. :-)

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

On a '66 converted to a late model drivetrain, the VSS is only useful for the cruise control and to keep the computer happy (MAF computers only). A MAF computer will function fine without it but keep a code stored... not enough to light the (probably non-existant) Check Engine Light however. The speedometer cable runs the speedometer and all is well.

If you've coverted to carburetion... there is no use for the VSS. It's now just a sensor that does nothing, or can be removed. Unless you want to make or use a digital speedometer.... then you'll need it.

JS

Reply to
JS

on my 93 traurus V-6 with automatic transmission it also tell the tranmsision when to shift.. with the wiring harness (one wire broken) the car would not shift out of first gear......replaced the wires and it shifed fine(it needed the VSS to know when to shift)......

Reply to
jim

Something else the VSS does is for the Mach 1000 stereo system's Speed Sensitive Volume control. One can perform a mod to make the VSS on the Mach

460 work. Here is the link to the site that shows a step-by-step instruction:

Greg B.

Thanks for the help. I read somewhere that the vss also stops the engine from redlining. Is this true?

Evan

Reply to
Evan

Thanks for the help. I read somewhere that the vss stops the engine from redlining. Is this true?

Evan

Reply to
Evan

I can't see how that's possible, especially on a 5.0 car with the older EEC and any car with a manual transmission. Perhaps it can help modify shift points as one poster noted on his Taurus... but all the VSS does is reads the vehicle speed, not the engine speed. In 1st gear you can only go so fast, but if you try to push the car to 60 in 1st, the VSS doesn't care.

Now it *can* be used as a speed governer... I don't think they were in the Fox cars though.

JS

Reply to
JS

Huh, the internet screwed up and posted my last one twice. Anyways, Thanks for the info about the vss everyone. Im gonna go install my speedometer cable now.

Evan

Reply to
Evan

Reply to