Vibration

hello , I'm new to the group I recently bought a 03 GT Vert. and having problems with ( steering wheel ) vibrations between 30-35 mph and at 50 mph . the dealer said it was common problem with mustang verts, they rebalanced the tires and its still there , has anyone else had this problem ? Thanks for any help you might be able to give , Greg

Reply to
Greg Sheffield

I wouldn't buy that crap from the dealer. NO car for that kind of money should have a shudder like that. You'll be best off going over the dealer directly to Ford. One bit of advice, drive ANOTHER GT 'Vert on the lot and see if it has the same problem....then you'll have your answer.

good luck

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

Vibration can be caused by a lot of things, and tire balance is probably the least common cause. First, you need to decide if it's speed related, or rpm related. Find a nice flat empty road and get up to about 60mph. Then drop it in neutral and let it coast down to about

20mph. If the vibrations reoccur at those specific speeds, then it's not engine related. Could be U joints, drive shaft, brake disc, wheel bearing, steering part, etc. If the vibration does not occur, then it's probably engine or transmission related. Harmonic blalancer, belt driven accessory, etc. Last month I drove a rental '03 vert (V6/Auto) for about 300 miles. Didn't notice any vibrations at all. Do those simple diagnostic things, and then take it back to the dealer.
Reply to
.boB

Another thing to consider is that you may have a defective tire, something you cannot see.

I agree that it may be tire/wheel related and not to take that 'crap' from the dealership.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

| > hello , I'm new to the group I recently bought a 03 GT Vert. and having | > problems with ( steering wheel ) vibrations between 30-35 mph and at 50 | mph | > . | > the dealer said it was common problem with mustang verts, they | rebalanced | > the tires and its still there , has anyone else had this problem ? | > Thanks for any help you might be able to give , Greg | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I'll go along with pretty much all of what boB says about tire balance.... usually the number one reason for vibration. I will add, however, that the dealership should be thoroughly spanked for neither verifying the problem (an experienced tech can determine if it is tire, driveline or otherwise related during a short road test) nor verifying the repair by road testing again.

Please don't trot out all these horror stories about joy riding techs.... that kind of crap would cost you your job at our dealership. I'm very sure that there are more unfounded stories of this sort of unacceptable behaviour than any that are based on fact. I will suggest recording you mileage if you're worried.

If the tech doesn't road test the car first, he has no idea what it is he has to fix. If he doesn't road test it after, he has no idea if he's fixed it.....

rebalanced

Reply to
Jim Warman

Did somebody say something about joy riding techs?

Reply to
Keith

Surfaces every now and again.... naturally it i usually a "guy I know..." kind of story.

Jim Warman

Here in Canada, the force balancing machines are something like $15,000 to $17,000....... I don't think you'll see these in too many small towns. OTOH, this is the way to fly....

Jim Warman